Official: Summit Academy in December

Evarin
Tuesday, December 5th, 2017, 6:12:16 AM

Quote from GM Haliste:

That's right! Summit Academy will be our December event. Dates are still being finalized, but we will have more information for you very soon.

In addition to the services available at the past event (spell preps, swears, signature verbs, log phrases, feature pavilion [for body, distinguishing mark, and wing quirks], enhancive permanence), we've now added spell customizations to the available services. This pertains to things like Manna, Well of Life, Tangleweed, etc. Most, if not all, of the offerings from the last run are available this time around, and many have more options available.

We will post more information as it becomes available.

~ Haliste ~ The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor SGM, Events

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.

This message was originally posted in Paid Events: Adventures, Quests, and SimuCoins, Summit Academy. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/218/3311/view/425

Evarin
Tuesday, December 5th, 2017, 6:14:00 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Cubes will never be returning in that form ever again.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Tuesday, December 5th, 2017, 9:23:19 PM

Quote from GM Haliste:

Iron Skin/Dragonclaw

Nothing specifically for these spells, but there are a bunch of new "ALL" spell preps.

Enhancive swapping

I hope to automate this at some point, but it is not available for this run.

Evarin
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 6:39:30 AM

Quote from GM Haliste via Discord:

Summit Academy will run from December 20 - December 26.

Losus
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 9:02:28 AM

So I may be tempted to do this, is it like shops too or just spell preps?

Evarin
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 9:14:14 AM

@losus said in Official: Summit Academy in December:

So I may be tempted to do this, is it like shops too or just spell preps?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there will be some items on offer. I believe this has already been asked, so i'll put it up whenever I see anything posted.

Roblar
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 12:38:13 PM

These are the shop offerings at the original Sylinar's Spire section which was also open last run:

https://gswiki.play.net/SummitAcademy#ShopListing

allereli
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 3:42:47 PM

sorry but worst pay event dates ever.

Ordim
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 4:47:17 PM

will always post "Why cant this just be stuck open all year round and periodically updated, like a proper cosmetic only shop should be"

Epona
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 9:31:30 PM

@ordim said in Official: Summit Academy in December:

will always post "Why cant this just be stuck open all year round and periodically updated, like a proper cosmetic only shop should be"

This is a common business tactic. By opening it sporatically and for a limited time, it creates a sense of urgency and makes people want to not only buy RIGHT NOW but likely spend more because of the mindset that it's going to close and who knows when it's going to open back up again.

Roblar
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 9:37:54 PM

That, and giving everyone everything they could want 24/7 means you have nothing for the next event and the clamoring would instead be how nothing new, nothing to do.

It increases stress on GMs to provide content, especially given the pay event schedule. If it was free or just year round, then something else must replace it (and think/code/qc it). Also, other economy problems come up, like the fusion shaman was actually 24/7 on the Firebird.

Ordim
Wednesday, December 13th, 2017, 10:07:27 PM

Nonsense, any other game will have a cosmetic shop open for a season or a year and then change the stuff. This gives people a chance to hit it when they can, more money over the long run instead of up front hurry up and buy buy buy. Those tactics are used by scammers and grifters when they know they dont have a good product to push and have to resort to baser instincts. There would be less stress on the GMs because they'd have a longer lead up time to come up with higher quality cosmetics once a year or so.

JNewhall
Thursday, December 14th, 2017, 8:06:20 AM

Disney does this with it's library of movies. they rotate films in and out of their "vault" every few years to artificially limit supply. It's hyperbole to call that tactic a scam or a grift.

Ordim
Thursday, December 14th, 2017, 8:22:48 AM

A time frame of years is fine. A time frame of OMG TWO WEEKS STARTING..... YESTERDAY! is.

Evarin
Saturday, December 16th, 2017, 11:34:23 PM

Quote from GM Haliste:

This run of Summit Academy will have all of the customizations offered at the last run, and has updates to the following:

Spell Preps Swears Signature Verbs

Log Phrases are still available but had no updates to its options.

In addition, pre-written custom spell options are available as another automated service. This includes options for the following:

Fire Spirit Empathic Assault Manna Major Sanctuary Well of Life Raise Dead Hand of Tonis Balefire Animated Disk Tangleweed Grasp of the Grave Call Swarm (no new options)

Any custom spell options found in the previous run's treasure cubes are now available from the uniformed attendant in the library of Thurgine Hall.

The feature pavilion will also return, with new feature options for both Body and Wing Quirks. Distinguishing Mark features are also available, but there are no new options.

For the enhancive tokens, existing tokens (ie: those purchased previously or those received in the Simucon Goodie Bags) are eligible for the following enhancive services:

• Enhancive permanence
  • Increase Max Mana
  • Increase Max Charges

Moving forward, enhancive permanence will not be available. Enhancive tokens purchased for this run will be ineligible for use with the enhancive permanence option.

The fusion shaman has been hired by the Academy and will be making his debut appearance. More information to come on this.

Ordim
Sunday, December 17th, 2017, 8:28:29 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK THIS SHIT GAME HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Evarin
Sunday, December 17th, 2017, 5:18:01 PM

Quote from GM Coase:

Regarding enhancive permanence, it had become an increasingly common service or the last year or two, way beyond what it was actually planned or authorized to be. It (and fusion) became increasingly notable when we were going over the 2016 auction items and various feeder items (before that too, but that was the tipping point) to the point where we increasingly found ourselves pulling back on what could be offered with respect to enhancive items because most of the balancing factors that we could add to the items could trivially be circumvented at the next event or two, either by literally orbing away most of the item or by simply applying a common service (which was getting to the point of being slipped into goody bags for basically free).

So, unfortunately, we need to pull back enhancive permanence to where we actually wanted its rarity level to be at (which, as a permanent removal of a significant item drawback, should be much rarer). In its place, we are intending to offer a less permanent item crumbliness protection service, so that if you do find a crumbly enhancive item you'd like to to keep, you can still access a fairly common service to prevent it from crumbling, but at a cost and/or effort more in-line with the benefit derived.

Again, I apologize for this, but its an unfortunate set of events that requires us to pull back on some of the excesses of enhancive item distribution that have occurred over the last few years, so that we can have more flexibility in offering new things going forward.

Coase

Evarin
Sunday, December 17th, 2017, 6:32:15 PM

Here's hoping that means bonuses from "feeder items" return to their pre-nerfed status now that they are nerfing enhancive permanence.

Roblar
Sunday, December 17th, 2017, 6:42:24 PM

Hmm, I'm cool with turning up the feeder!

And I'd hope the service isn't really going away, just more rare. Like a limited raffle win at certain events.

Actually, they alternatively could control/limit by limiting tokens like they do with locker contracts.

Mogonis
Sunday, December 17th, 2017, 6:53:22 PM

Still makes me mad. I bought a crumbly enhancive for 3.5m thinking I could make it permanent. Now I have to be nervous to use it, so I'll probably never use it.

Roblar
Sunday, December 17th, 2017, 7:09:06 PM

Yep, I get that.

And I sold my giftbox token since I didn't need anything made perm before seeing this! I bet the bag tokens are in demand now ha. You can still make it perm if you find someone willing to sell (alot of bags were purchased). And likely for silvers too so there is that.

Mogonis
Sunday, December 17th, 2017, 7:42:56 PM

The only reason I'm acquiring enhancives is for Duskruin. This deflates my eagerness to spend SimuCoins to grind it.

Just very, very disappointed, and nervous about other stuff Simu's about to scale back, remove, etc.

Evarin
Monday, December 18th, 2017, 6:04:19 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Events change their offerings almost every single time they run. What ran last time is never guaranteed to run again. This is the case with every event we do in GemStone IV and just about holds true from each event we've repeated.

For the enhancive token, specifically the permanence, this was a Sylinar's Spire offering that was limited to 20 to 50 ticket holders. We allowed multiple ticket purchases during the Spire. When it moved to Summit Academy, everyone wasn't on the same page for how we'd continue to offer this service, but it was never anticipated as something offered in mass quantities.

Back in 2010, I offered this service for the first time as my merchant Rolarg at Ebon Gate. That was the only time it was ever specifically approved to be offered in unlimited quantities. Since then, we've either done one per account or limited it to tickets to an event. The SimuCoin events are very tough for us to forecast how they will do, but one thing is certain is that they do much better than we ever anticipated. We can only continue to gather data and adjust the events each run. Even Duskruin, an event that has run 8 times now, is tweaked and molded from previous data. It's constantly evolving. We also don't offer the same things at each Duskruin, we constantly retire or rotate items, services, and treasure.

Two things here to keep in mind. There were plenty of enhancive tokens from February still out in circulation. There are also quite a few from the SimuCon Goodie Bags. Your last hurrah with this service is definitely there, if you can get your hands on them, and there are plenty to get your hands on.

The Development team needs to make some long-needed adjustments to how enhancives are applied to players. The game's longevity is important. During the design of the enhancive system, it was never intended for people to walk around with +40 and +50 to multiple stats and skills, but that's a reality now. We have to scale back at some point. That doesn't mean this service is gone. It's just moving back to a rarer service.

The SimuCoin potion comment doesn't really apply, as it does something different, which is save on bounty points.

My subscription was never guaranteed from month to month. I already canceled one and this confirms that the other is now to be canceled.

We definitely encourage players to take a break if they are no longer getting enjoyment from their subscription. It's unfortunate the way you feel, but it is within your right to place your entertainment dollars where yo see fit.

If development spent more time on actually developing new things instead of letting them linger you wouldn't have to spend this time nerfing stuff and worrying about balance against ... no one?

The Development Team spends countless hours developing new things, as GemStone IV has had more developments in the last 3 years than ever before.

There was no further information for 11 days after this post that the permanence would only be using old/SimuCon-issued tokens. People made plans and you're wondering why they're upset.

If someone made a purchase on or after 12/4 that we can verify from the logs for in-game silver and they used the GIVE or EXCHANGE verb, I'll go ahead and reimburse your silver and take the enhancive item out of game. You will need to email me directly using the email author link to the left of this post (in Legacy).

Wyrom, PM

Sabotage
Monday, December 18th, 2017, 8:19:40 PM

@evarin said in Official: Summit Academy in December:

Quote from GM Wyrom:

The Development team needs to make some long-needed adjustments to how enhancives are applied to players. The game's longevity is important. During the design of the enhancive system, it was never intended for people to walk around with +40 and +50 to multiple stats and skills, but that's a reality now. We have to scale back at some point. That doesn't mean this service is gone. It's just moving back to a rarer service.

Wyrom, PM

@Wyrom Why does the Dev team need this to happen? What will this allow them to do that they couldn't before? Why isn't that being implemented first or at the same time?

This isn't a PVP game so that balancing reason goes out the window. Almost no new capped creatures have been released in years, so I find that argument a bit bullshit. So what are you balancing around or for?

Please stop with the nerf first and then maybe sometime RSN getting around to the "buff".

Evarin
Monday, December 18th, 2017, 11:21:44 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

I would like to unpack part of this post, since there is a large misunderstanding here.

Between the WPS lies about being more available and now the fusion Nerf, I have been consistently disappointed in the development direction.

WPS has been offered a lot more since the update. Prior to the update, it was offered maybe once or twice a year. Since the update, it has been offered 5 times.

Its amazingly clear that any real development time is spent on Simucoin gambling/slot machine games and nerfing down mechanics to move people to spend money on simucoin shop items and buying into events.

The Development team does not spend a lot of time on events. Senior staff does spend some time in the approval stages and some of the backbone mechanics, but the majority of the team works directly on further development of the mechanical aspects of the game. The Events team is the only dedicated team for events.

Wyrom
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 10:00:31 AM

@sabotage said in Official: Summit Academy in December:

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Wyrom, PM

@Wyrom Why does the Dev team need this to happen? What will this allow them to do that they couldn't before? Why isn't that being implemented first or at the same time?

This isn't a PVP game so that balancing reason goes out the window. Almost no new capped creatures have been released in years, so I find that argument a bit bullshit. So what are you balancing around or for?

Please stop with the nerf first and then maybe sometime RSN getting around to the "buff".

The Development team needed this change because they want to restore some balance to approvals. It's not about offering more of something, it's about the service being offered too much at a venue where you can buy unlimited. It was approved in limited quantities. Summit Academy's automation was a bit hard to forecast in terms of how well it would go.

PvP isn't the only thing that needs to be balanced. Development likes to create a challenging and rewarding experience through gameplay. We either have to set the bar up to those who are decked out, or we have to adjust approvals. Those who are already decked out remain that way, but we can't just keep something going because "oh well."

We've actually had more capped content released since 2015 than we have in a long time.

Confluence (2015) Reim (2016) Sanctum of Scales (2016) Ithzir Champions (2017)

Prior to that it was... Nelemar (2006) Grimswarm (2007) Scatter (2009)

I'm not quite following your comment on no new content.

This is not a nerf, the service will still exist. It will just move to being a bit more rare and not something on an automated level like Summit Academy offered previously.

Sabotage
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 10:42:43 AM

@wyrom It could also be argued that allowing more enhansives could allow you to create higher level creatures where players are basically required to have enhansives if a post cap system isn't being created.

I think part of the problem is that you are also selling what is basically a permanent enhansive in the store, but saying that permanent enhansives are the problem.

Honestly it just feels like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. This could have completely been avoided with being upfront about this earlier...once again.

Evarin
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 10:46:52 AM

@wyrom It could also be argued that allowing more enhansives could allow you to create higher level creatures where players are basically required to have enhansives if a post cap system isn't being created.

I think part of the problem is that you are also selling what is basically a permanent enhansive in the store, but saying that permanent enhansives are the problem.

Honestly it just feels like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. This could have completely been avoided with being upfront about this earlier...once again.

I agree. Enhancive permanence makes enhancives more convenient to maintain. You can still have 100% uptime on your enhancives if you want to spend the money, so we are using simucoin cost (But not availability) as a balancing factor now? That doesn't seem right.

Alastir
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 11:20:21 AM

@wyrom said in Official: Summit Academy in December:

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Wyrom, PM

The Development team needed this change because they want to restore some balance to approvals. It's not about offering more of something, it's about the service being offered too much at a venue where you can buy unlimited. It was approved in limited quantities. Summit Academy's automation was a bit hard to forecast in terms of how well it would go.

PvP isn't the only thing that needs to be balanced. Development likes to create a challenging and rewarding experience through gameplay. We either have to set the bar up to those who are decked out, or we have to adjust approvals. Those who are already decked out remain that way, but we can't just keep something going because "oh well."

We've actually had more capped content released since 2015 than we have in a long time.

This is not a nerf, the service will still exist. It will just move to being a bit more rare and not something on an automated level like Summit Academy offered previously.

I think people would be much less upset if there were a warning system in place that gave you a clue that hey, your crumbly is about to go poof.

Requiring a bard for constant checking of enhancive status is beyond tedious.

Add in a warning message when enhancives reach "a couple of charges" and then there is less concern (at least from me) about these changes.

"Your super expensive enhancive that you're wearing vibrates slightly and takes on a dull appearance."

Evarin
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 11:26:31 AM

@alastir said in Official: Summit Academy in December:

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Wyrom, PM

I think people would be much less upset if there were a warning system in place that gave you a clue that hey, you're crumbly is about to go poof.

Requiring a bard for constant checking of enhancive status is beyond tedious.

Add in a warning message when enhancives reach "a couple of charges" and then there is less concern (at least from me) about these changes.

"Your super expensive enhancive that you're wearing vibrates slightly and takes on a dull appearance."

That would be an awesome quality of life change.

Naamit
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 11:43:56 AM

Yes please.

Evarin
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 11:59:03 AM

@Wyrom

It may be a good idea to update the wiki page for the festival that was linked in the promotional e-mail regarding Enhancive Permanence.

https://gswiki.play.net/Summit_Academy

allereli
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 12:05:15 PM

@Wyrom

It may be a good idea to update the wiki page for the festival that was linked in the promotional e-mail regarding Enhancive Permanence.

https://gswiki.play.net/Summit_Academy

links to the wiki are only included in promotional emails to honor the work done on the wiki, not to send people to accurate information

Wyrom
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 1:06:40 PM

Actually, we use the front page news on play.net. We were using the wiki since players were taking the time to update it and we thought it was a nice gesture. We never asked players or the moderators to update the wiki. We have never spelled out all the information from an event, as that is part of the discovery.

Evarin
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 1:17:34 PM

Actually, we use the front page news on play.net. We were using the wiki since players were taking the time to update it and we thought it was a nice gesture. We never asked players or the moderators to update the wiki. We have never spelled out all the information from an event, as that is part of the discovery.

Ok, it can genuinely lead to confusion so i'm going to add a note.

Ordim
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 3:45:29 PM

almost tempted to login to get my reskinned dove they used last simucon. Wyrom, winning hearts and minds with every move he makes recently. Good job buddy!

OldSkool
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 11:01:02 PM

@alastir said in Official: Summit Academy in December:

This. My god, so much this.

Even barring this: an NPC I can USE SILVERS ON to check the enhancive status.

No? OK, allow Duane charge me some friggin' bounty points to check my items. The current method is just horridly tedious.

Evarin
Saturday, December 23rd, 2017, 5:42:39 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

We'll be extending the event, but I need to wait for after Monday to make it official due to the office being closed. But we will likely be extending Summit until Friday.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Tuesday, December 26th, 2017, 3:05:32 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Between SimuCon and previous Summit Academy, there were a total of 312 possibly still out in circulation (assuming someone didn't junk one or leave the game with one still in their SIMUCOIN DELIVER list). As of right now, 62 have been redeemed. There are over 200 SimuCon tokens alone.

While I know there would be demand in buying them directly for SimuCoins, the purchasing from other players route is going to be it in terms of Summit Academy's offerings.

The service will be moving back to being a little more rarer and/or limited again. I know the argument can be made that we've already permified thousands and thousands, what's the harm in a thousand more. We just have to move forward at this time.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Tuesday, December 26th, 2017, 3:05:57 PM

Also...Quote from GM Wyrom:

No. I am trying to get the office to extend the date, but I might be the only one working today. These things are typically approved up the chain, but I'll just pull the trigger on it.

It will close December 30th. I'll throw something on the front page news and update the wiki dates in just a little bit.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Tuesday, December 26th, 2017, 10:00:22 PM

From the new mailer:

Summit Academy: DATES EXTENDED! Now be available until Saturday, December 30th!

You still have time to enjoy the Fusion Shaman that is BRAND NEW at Summit Academy. And if you still need some character-defining feats, such as the advanced customization tokens, just head on over to Thurgine Hall on the school's grounds.

Just a reminder, SimuCon Goodie Bag tokens can all be used at this Summit Academy. Don't forget to use yours before the school closes its doors for the year!

Wyrom
Tuesday, December 26th, 2017, 11:15:24 PM

Thanks for the continual cross-posting, @Evarin.

Just a bit of clarification on my post. I wasn't sure if we all agreed on extended the dates or if closing it down on the 30th would be an issue. I know I will not be available on NYE, so it had to be before then. Extending events over 2 months is just too much of a mess, so extending over 2 years is likely worse! Mailers are typically approved, and I didn't want to get ahead of myself and say something I'd later need to clean up (which seems to be the norm lately). I had forgot that the majority of the office staff weren't available today.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays if you celebrate them.