Ta'Illistim Round Table

Rohese
Saturday, November 4th, 2017, 3:36:51 PM

Lady Rohese, on behalf of Argent Mirror Myasara, calls on all representatives of organisations and other parties willing to help in the relief effort for the Turamzzyrian Empire. There will be a Round Table Discussion on Sunday, 5th November at 2.00pm in the Council Salon (Ta'Illistim Keep). Please note that this is not just limited to officers and members of CHE and MHOs; everyone who is interested in being involved is more than welcome to come along.

OOC: See http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Towns/Ta'Illistim/view/2611 for more information

Rohese
Sunday, November 5th, 2017, 10:53:47 AM

Reminder bump -- this is today!

Maetriks
Sunday, November 5th, 2017, 9:38:28 PM

I'm sorry i missed this! Schedule has gone haywire since going to nights and sleep is precious. Hope to see a summary or log soon!

Rohese
Monday, November 6th, 2017, 7:02:02 AM

Official: Roundtable Round-up

In case you missed this!

Lady Rohese was asked to detail her travels through the Empire. She stated that there was still much devastation, but there were encampments of supplies and people were being helped. Her focus was on the children of the empire and how they need schools and supplies.

Argent Mirror Myasara stated that they would continue to collect every day supplies and would be sending wood and stone through the airships to help rebuild homes and farm. There was a concern stated that healers and medicines would be needed throughout the winter in the encampments.

There was also concern that elven supplies and help would not be looked on kindly, but more of an interference. There was also concern that educating the humans might backfire in allowing them the skills and knowledge needed to invade the Elven Nations. There was much speculation that the donations and actions to help the Empire may be taken as an invasion or sorts, not as genuine help.

It was decided that Lady Rohese would act as ambassador for Ta'Illistim. She would choose a team of advisors to go with her. She would travel first to Vornavis and meet with the knights there, and ultimately the baron to discuss the donation of supplies. Future actions would depend on the outcome of these meetings and there would be another roundtable to decide how to further proceed.

The Mirror also stated that she would be holding a conclave of the elven monarchy to discuss a united front in opening trade and peaceful relations with the Empire.

~ Valyrka ~ Ta'Illistim Elves Dark Elves

Rohese
Monday, November 6th, 2017, 7:04:30 AM

Rohese's IC perspective:

With a second winter looming, Rohese’s thoughts had turned once more to the northern Baronies of the Turamzzyrian Empire and the refugee encampments she had recently visited. Despite the reassurances of the camp leaders that their basic needs were being met, she was concerned about the continuity of much-needed supply runs during the coldest months. Once the snows came, there was no guarantee that the wagons could get even through.

Yesterday’s round table discussion with the Argent Mirror and many other concerned parties had settled her mind somewhat. The Council of Thrones had finally agreed it was time to extend significant aid to the west. It was long overdue, in Rohese’s opinion, but she also understood about the complexity of court politics; especially where the Empire was involved.

Myasara’s determination to be the advocate for change was encouraging but it was likely to cause ripples of dissent throughout the Nations. Her declaration about reaching out to the rulers of all the elven noble houses with a view to engaging with the Emperor was radical but necessary if a concerted effort was to be made to bring relief and support to the displaced.

Rohese ran through the salient points of the meeting in her mind to try and prioritise them. It was more important than ever now to ensure everything was being done as expeditiously as possible.

• At the Argent Mirror’s request, she had agreed to serve as ambassador and lead a small party of representatives to meet with the Baron Dunrith Malwind. She had managed to convince her good friend Siierra to accompany her as her knowledge of herbal lore would be vital; not to mention her possible connection with the Green Sisters and their work in the Talador Bleaklands. Renowned for her steadfast demeanour and professionalism, Esana, High Priestess of House Vaalor, had been persuaded to join them. In addition, Maiden Tyrrah had also offered to come along. Her experience with the Wellington Home orphans would be invaluable.

• The Argent Mirror would write to the Baron to inform him of her plans and set up the meeting.

• As a matter of courtesy and diplomacy, the Lady Riend had offered to write to members of both the Order of the Azure Sun and Order of the Silver Gryphons to keep them abreast of the situation and to serve as a formal introduction of the Argent Mirror’s representatives. Both Sir Bristenn and Sir Cryheart would make ideal advocates in the Imperial Court and Rohese looked forward to renewing their acquaintance.

• As part of an extensive re-building programme, the Argent Mirror had instructed Commander Murstyr of the Sapphire Guard to organize the gathering of timber from the surrounding woodlands and forests, as well as its shipment across the DragonSpine Mountains. In addition, stone was being collected and transported by the giant clans in the North. The Artificers were on standby.

• The crates in both Briarstone Court and Hanging Gardens would be regularly emptied to allow for the continued donation of education supplies such as books, quills, and scientific apparatus. Larger scale donation drives were to be considered as Archales was concerned about the possible overflow from the crates. Shipments would be sent as soon as agreements had been made with the Baron.

• Ceyrin had offered to renew his correspondence with the Right Honorable Her Ladyship Baroness Delphinuria Hochstib in the hope of smoothing any ruffled imperial feathers. He was also persuaded, albeit reluctantly, to accompany the ladies west.

Rohese sighed heavily and reached for her quill and parchment. There was much to do in preparation with the added distraction of both the Ta’Illistim Art Gala this weekend and the Elanthian Conclave at the end of the month.

Riend
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 4:12:32 PM

(IC versions of these letters to be delivered tonight.)

Raising the wax stick in her hand to the candle's flame, Riend quietly read over the first of the two letters she was to dispatch.

Sir Bristenn Mires,

I hope this letter finds you well, my dearest friend. It was of no small disappointment to learn we had missed one another by mere minutes throughout the Ebon Gate festival, but I am as yet hopeful that we will have reason to renew our acquaintance soon. There is a matter I would speak of in person, but given the urgency of the situation I do not feel it is something that will wait for your return.

I was honored to recently have sat a roundtable with the Argent Mirror herself as well as a number of concerned parties from all corners of Elanith. Our main occupation was with the organization of aid for those unfortunates of the Empire who have suffered or been displaced during the terrible business of the past year. The Argent Mirror has reached out to all of the Nation’s monarchs in the hopes of creating a united front in this endeavor and has offered all of the tools, funds and people at her disposal to help the Empire in this dark time.

There were many valid points brought up throughout the discussion, the most concerning of which being how to approach this delicate situation with full transparency and in such a way as to foster good relations between the Elven Nations and the Human Empire. As we are both very painfully aware, there has been little to any acceptance of either elves, or the relationships between humans and elves for longer than either you or I can remember. I firmly believe that such misplaced suspicion and unkindness, on both sides, could be assuaged and a friendship built on respect and mutual civility could be borne from this terrible tragedy.

It is with this fervent hope that all eyes in the west turn upon Vornavis. With the Baron’s keen mind and steadfast nature, it is believed that he would not only find the elven aid welcome, but would help to smooth the way against some of the resistance we fear will hinder the effort. Given my acquaintance with you and Sir Mursilis, Lady Rohese and the Argent Mirror have entreated me to send you this letter of formal introduction, and to make you aware of the imminent arrival of a delegation from the Shining City to Vornavis. Lady Rohese Bayvel-Timsh'l Illistim, First Legionnaire Esana Lartuen-Ilynov Vaalor, Siierra O’Leigha, Ceyrin Feynde and Maiden Tyrrah will make up the entirety of the party en route. The Argent Mirror has sent letters of introduction to Baron Dunrith Malwind requesting they be presented at court and granted an audience. It is our hope that you will welcome them and set the example of felicity and goodwill among Solhaven’s citizens during their stay.

I am earnest in my belief that you will see the necessity of this plan and why your support and influence are paramount to its success. I wish you godspeed in your mission and that you shall return to us safely with all due haste.

Yours, Lady Riend Ar’Fiernel Quartermaster of the Landing Defense Irregulars

Folding the cream vellum, she quickly placed the heated wax stick the seam, carefully sealing the letter and affixing her seal. With a heavily sigh and one last tender glance she set it aside and reached for a fresh sheet of paper and her quill to pen the second letter she would send to Sir Cryheart Thaxin. Her brow furrowed as she considered how such a letter to one whose confidence she has never shared would be best written. Finally, she reached to dip her quill in the inkpot on her desk and began once again in earnest...

Sir Cryheart Thaxin,

I hope you do not find this letter impertinent and that our acquaintance remains favorable in your eyes after my extended absence from matters here in the Landing. I have a matter of great delicacy and urgency that I wish to discuss with you and I fear that propriety must be strained.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to attend a roundtable in Ta’Illistim whose sole focus was the ongoing struggle to heal and rebuild within the Empire. The unfortunate events over the past year have caused many of its people to be displaced and with the cold winter months fast approaching more must be done to ensure their survival and well-being. There are plans to work with the monarchs of the Elven Nations to send all manner of aid to the Empire, but concerns of how such will be received by the Empire in the shadow of the recent racial tensions weighs heavily on all involved.

To this end, the Argent Mirror and Lady Rohese have entreated me to send letters of formal introduction for the delegation soon to be dispatch from Ta’Illistim for Vornavis. Consisting of the following members: Lady Rohese Bayvel-Timsh'l Illistim, First Legionnaire Esana Lartuen-Ilynov Vaalor, Siierra O’Leigha, Ceyrin Feynde and Maiden Tyrrah, it is Her wish that they be presented at court and given audience there. Letters have been dispatched to Baron Dunrith Malwind, but it is her desire that the Orders sworn to the Empire receive this delegation with all the felicity and goodwill which would serve as an example to others.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this, and I will await your reply.

With Humblest Regards, Lady Riend Ar’Fiernel Quartermaster of the Landing Defense Irregulars

Setting her quill aside she took up the wax stick and repeated the process of sealing the letter, placing her signet seal in the soft, argent wax. She stood to reach for her cloak, eager to deliver them to the young messenger boy currently enjoying tea and biscuits by her hearth. With a mouthful of food and thanks, the boy accepted the offered letters and quickly darted out the door, leaving an amused Riend in his wake.

Riend
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 4:17:26 PM

With his permission, I'm also copying Ceyrin's letter to Delphinuria Hochstib from the officials.

Ceyrin stands alone, silently within the confines of the tallow-lit sanctuary he creates as a manifestation of his bond with Lord Onar. He takes a moment to contemplate the nature of this space, as he often does. Is it a space within Lord Onar Himself? Is it a space outside of time and the material plane entirely? For now, that can wait.

Ceyrin takes a moment to contemplate the content of the letter he intends to pen. He knows that this must be handled delicately, and such things would be better left to someone more experienced with diplomacy than himself. After another moment of reflection he begins to write within the bound black leather book that he keeps with him at all times, the book a stark contrast to his shortened peacock plume writing quill.

Dear Baroness Delphinuria Hochstib,

If this letter reaches your gaze, then know that I am writing to you on behalf of concerned citizens of the Elven Nations. It has been some time since our last encounter, and I frankly do not expect you to remember me. Never the less, I intend to express to you something that is both urgent and immeasurably important. It has come to my attention that the Elven Nations intends, with good will, to deliver supplies and relief aid to the disenfranchised of Talador. My concern is that some of the Barons will likely find this to be stifling, and perhaps even offensive.

It was my recollection that you were neither egocentric enough to feel offended, and in fact were quite deliberate and sincere in your desire to aid Talador several years ago when we met. Please know that I am contacting you both out of respect, and out of a desire to avoid what I believe could potentially be a political disaster should things go poorly.

I entreat you to please consider the following:

1) To attempt renew your relationship and aid of those within Talador and coordinate with the Elven Nations on this.

2) To travel to Vornavis and speak with Baron Malwind, perhaps in timely enough manner to meet with the envoy that that approaches on behalf of the Elven Nations.

3) To use whatever influence you have within your neighboring Baronies and all of the Empire to not see this as anything other than what I believe at this point it is intended to be; a gesture of kindness and good will.

Sincerely, Ceyrin Feynde, High Priest of the Hand of Onar

PS: Enclosed you will find one of the exotic gems known as a dragonmist crystal that I promised you many years ago from the extraplanar locale commonly referred to as The Rift. This one is my favorite of them all, and it's beauty is only out-shined by the likes of yourself.

Ceyrin folds the missive upon itself multiple times until it is shaped properly to fit within the thick vellum envelope. He then deposits the small dragonmist crystal within along side the missive. Taking a moment to gather wax from a tallow within his sanctuary, he pours the white wax over the folds of the envelope to seal it and using only his thumb as a signet he presses it closed and waits for it to dry.

This will have to do, for now, he thinks to himself. I will continue to observe these events as they unfold, and hope that only Ceyrin the Maeramil is required, and NOT Ceyrin the High Priest of Lord Onar. This is a step in the right direction, these women will lead all of Elanith to a better future . . . I hope . . . one where I no longer am required. Perhaps even, I will finally find the death that was meant for me, as Lord Onar has promised.

And with that, he exits his sanctuary in a swirl of darkness and is once again surrounded by the Shining City. He locates the nearest runner and instructs them to put his missive into parcel as quickly and carefully as possibly, a meaningful glower set upon his face as he does.

Rohese
Thursday, November 9th, 2017, 4:59:33 AM

I thought it would be helpful to add all the other wonderful missives that have been flying around lately.

Esana ~ A Missive to the King (7th November)

Esana paced softly in front of the marble fireplace, deep in thought. The library in House Ilynov always brought her a sense of peace and comfort. Pausing to absently stoke the fire burning in the hearth, she moved to the small writing desk beneath the window and pulled the simple chair out. Sitting carefully on the very edge of the chair, her wings resting comfortably on either side of the chair's deep seat, she carefully pushed an old timeworn journal to one corner of the desk, pulled some gold-edged ivory parchment from the drawer, dipped her quill in the inkwell, and began writing.

King Qalinor Vaalor Sovereign Commander of the Crimson Legions,

I have been asked to accompany the Lady Rohese Bayvel-Timsh'l as a member of a delegation sent to the west by the Argent Mirror. I am certain the Argent Mirror has been in contact with you so I will not take your time with the details. I am requesting your leave to make the journey and represent House Vaalor to the best of my ability. Furthermore, I would like to request the Crown commission several crates of wooden training swords be crafted at my expense. Many donations are being collected and delivered to aid the children affected by recent events. I would like to offer my services and the training weapons to share our culture and teach those willing how to properly defend themselves that they may not continue to be victims.

Respectfully,

Lady Esana Ilynov High Priestess of House Vaalor Squire of the Crimson Reserves

Reading over the parchment carefully, Esana nodded once in satisfaction. "That will have to do for now", she thought as she carefully dusted the still wet ink with a fine layer of pure white sand. Carefully shaking the excess sand from the missive, she folded it carefully and dropped a heavy dollop of bright crimson wax across the seam. Pressing her vaalorn signet ring deeply into the hot wax, she sealed the letter with a segreant wyvern with crossed longswords beneath ensuring the King would know it was from House Ilynov. Nearly before she was finished, an elderly Winedotter gnome appeared at her elbow and silently slipped the finished parchment from the desk, disappearing without a word to deliver the missive. Smiling to herself, Esana respectfully centered the timeworn journal on the small writing desk, returning it to its place of honor.

GM Zoelle ~ King Qalinor's response (9th November)

As the crimson liveried scribe finished reading the missive aloud, Qalinor nodded slowly. "Thank you for your time today," the King stated flatly. "Please leave your quill and parchment. I will pen the response myself", Qalinor continued. Blinking in surprise, the scribe nodded with a worried look while silently obeying the command. "I'll have to reassure that fellow he is still in my service", the King thought to himself as he began to write.

Lady Esana Ilynov High Priestess of House Vaalor

I have given your request due consideration. Though it is true I have been reluctant to send any aid to the west of late, after all we ourselves are still recovering from the wars this spring, I do not find your request over burdensome upon the Crown. Therefore, I have commissioned the crafting of the training weapons as per your missive. I am in complete agreement with your assessment of training the future generations to defend their holdings and with sharing our culture. I can think of no elf better suited to represent Ta'Vaalor and the Crown than you. I have full faith in your diplomatic skills and your ability to represent House Vaalor in a noble manner. As such, I am officially naming you ambassador from House Vaalor for this mission with the full weight of the Crown behind your decisions. Should any question your standing, present this letter as proof of your station.

Go with Honor,

King Qalinor Vaalor the Sovereign Commander of the Crimson Legions

Pressed below in a pool of hardened crimson wax is the sergeant wyvern, official seal of House Vaalor.

As the King finished sealing the parchment, Lerok the Caretaker of House Ilynov silently appeared at his elbow. Smiling, Qalinor handed him the letter with a polite nod.

~Zoelle~

Rohese
Thursday, November 9th, 2017, 5:03:16 AM

Sir Cryheart Thraxin ~ Parchments to Baron Malwind and Order of the Azure Sun (8th November)

Your Excellency,

I have recently received a dispatch from Lady Riend with direct communication as well accompanying the dispatch. As you will read she carried the dispatch on behalf of the Argent Mirror and Lady Rohese, both of Ta'Illistim. I have sent the same information to the Order of the Azure Sun. I am sending this parchment to you in case the arrival of your dispatch was delayed. The content of the dispatch to me is as follows:

"Sir Cryheart Thaxin,

I hope you do not find this letter impertinent and that our acquaintance remains favorable in your eyes after my extended absence from matters here in the Landing. I have a matter of great delicacy and urgency that I wish to discuss with you and I fear that propriety must be strained. Recently, I was fortunate enough to attend a roundtable in Ta’Illistim whose sole focus was the ongoing struggle to heal and rebuild within the Empire.

Letters have been dispatched to Baron Dunrith Malwind, but it is her desire that the Orders sworn to the Empire receive this delegation with all the felicity and goodwill which would serve as an example to others.

To this end, the Argent Mirror and Lady Rohese have entreated me to send letters of formal introduction for the delegation soon to be dispatch from Ta Illistim for Vornavis. Consisting of the following members: Lady Rohese Bayvel-Timsh l Illistim, First Legionnaire Esana Lartuen-Ilynov Vaalor, Siierra O Leigha, Ceyrin Feynde and Maiden Tyrrah, it is Her wish that they be presented at court and given audience there.

The unfortunate events over the past year have caused many of its people to be displaced and with the cold winter months fast approaching more must be done to ensure their survival and well-being. There are plans to work with the monarchs of the Elven Nations to send all manner of aid to the Empire, but concerns of how such will be received by the Empire in the shadow of the recent racial tensions weighs heavily on all involved.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this, and I will await your reply.

With Humblest Regards,

Lady Riend Ar Fiernel Quartermaster of the Landing Defense Irregulars"

Your Excellency, please give my warmest regards to your son, Lord Salnim, and in particular your daughter, Lady Athalia.

sincerely,

Sir Cryheart Thaxin Order of the Silver Gryphon

Hospitallier Dirra Crawfinn ~ A neatly inked parchment dispatched to Baron Malwind (8th November)

Your Excellency

I have received notice from Sir Thaxin that an entourage from across the Dragonspine makes its way towards Vornavis. Let me advise that if I am available they will find a warm and respectful welcoming within our boundaries. I frequently travel to Ta'Illistim to pursue my trainings and I have been always received with the greatest of respect. I will take great pride in extending the same to them when they visit our lands if my schedule permits.

a small wax stamp of a wren

Hospitallier Dirra Crawfinn

With even measured penmanship, Dirra dips a quill into ink and transcribes facsimiles of the same correspondence before beckoning two other couriers to approach. She carefully inks the names of each recipient, 'Sir Thaxin', 'Lady Riend, and sends them forth with urgency.

Hospitallier Dirra Crawfinn ~ A parchment delived to the gates of the Silver Gryphons, addressed to Sir Thaxin (8th November)

Sir Thaxin

Below is a copy of the communication I have issued to Baron Malwind.

Hospitallier Dirra Crawfinn

__

Your Excellency

I have received notice from Sir Thaxin that an entourage from across the Dragonspine makes its way towards Vornavis. Let me advise that if I am available they will find a warm and respectful welcoming within our boundaries. I frequently travel to Ta'Illistim to pursue my trainings and I have been always received with the greatest of respect. I will take great pride in extending the same to them when they visit our lands if my schedule permits.

a small wax stamp of a wren

Rohese
Thursday, November 9th, 2017, 5:09:36 AM

Naamit ~ Letter to Khlat Braggiani of Bourth (7th November)

As day leads to darkness, Naamit retreats from Ta'Illistim to her small estate. By candle light, she begins writing a letter at the desk in her parlor. She takes little time in thinking through the words as the ruminations were made along the way.

Dear Khlat Braggiani, I hope this letter finds you, where ever you may roam.

My name is Naamit and I have the whip. Whether you wish it back isn't the purpose of my outreach. You may not know me, but I am a Braggiani and like you, I can relish in its power. I seek a set of eyes and ears with intrigue like mine, and a pair of lips for persuasion. As a merchant, I'm certain these are qualities you possess. As your bloodkin, I am interested in your relations with the court in the County of Bourth and the Baron Spensor Caulfield.

This is of grave importance, for threat of elven meddling within the Turamzzyrian Empire, in the wake of the tragedy in Talador, seeps far and wide. Queen Myasara of the elven House Illistim seeks to transport by airship fleet, a bevy of stone, timber, healing supplies and healers, educative primers for children and the elven scholars to wield them. This seems innocuous on the face of it, but the elf-queen also plans to convene monarchs from the other Elven houses to create a unified front in the name of "aid." However, I've also come to learn that the Vaalor elves began amassing considerable arms and armor within the last few months. Something is afoot and it does not smell innocent.

I fear their approach is folly and will bring danger to the Empire. Thus, I suggest an alternative proposal, which would be greatly beneficial both to you as a merchant, your homeland, and to the Empire as a whole. If you are as seasoned merchant as I believe you to be, I urge you, along with any merchant networks and diplomats available, to broker a deal with the Baron Caulfield and his peers, whereby the Elven Nations provide monetary aid to the Empire for locally sourced goods, to be sent to Talador.

The House of Illistim was ready to pay a northern Giantkin clan in the north for stone, so certainly their coffers do not run dry. Should it be granted, the funding will bolster local production in the Empire and specifically, the prime wood and stone exports of Bourth would go a long way toward satisfying the needs Talador in due time. Increased local production throughout the Empire will provide jobs, and give hope to any of those who are lacking. Let every man and woman work toward embetterment of themselves and the Empire. Such an approach will avoid dissension and eliminate any risk of elven meddling, or worse: war.

I will be upfront in that do not trust an allied front of elves' sole intention is to serve the people of the Turamzzyrian Empire, even in such a time of need. Even as I write this letter, there are others composing their own missives undoubtedly to beg for complacency among their allies in Jantalar and Vornavis. I can only imagine those letters fail to mention the fleet of elven airships and bevy of weaponry and wizardry that could soon bear down on Human lands if local avenues are not employed.

As bloodkin, I hope you will see fit to assist me in this. If you wish to meet me to resolve any doubt of what I've said, I shall travel to whatever place is your desire. Alternately, I welcome you as guest and kin at my small estate in Ta'Illistim, where you shall find the accommodations most enjoyable.

Signed in our blood,

P.S. Did you visit the House of Dzosch in Krestle in your youth? My mother, Monica worked there, but she was a Giantkin and not a Braggiani like you and me. Indeed, there are many questions I have for you, if and when the time comes.

Naamit selects a slender flechette from a small display on the top of her desk. She quickly slices her wrist and lets several drops of blood pool into an empty dish next to her inkwell. She picks up a fresh quill and signs her name to the letter:

Naamit Dzosch Monica Durden Braggiani

After her wound has puckered to the point of coagulation, she folds the letter with crisp precision and seals the paper with sanguine wax, and firmly presses it with a signet bearing a tiny chain link whip with cross-like handle. Naamit heads back to her drawing room, where she finds her seasoned tracker swaggering down the stairwell, complete with a satisfied smile plastered across his lips. She hands him the letter, smoothly quips "it's on the house," and shows him to the door.

Rohese
Saturday, November 11th, 2017, 5:07:46 AM

Dirra~ Reservations at the Solhaven Inn (10th November)

Dirra hands over a bag of silver to the Innkeeper

Five suites shall be required. Your best. We are expecting an entourage from Ta'Illistim. Nothing but the finest for them. And I will cover all costs. Understood?

The Innkeeper nods with a broad smile, counting the silvers as Dirra strides away.

[Somewhere in the vicinity of a certain door upstairs in the Solhaven Inn, a burst of raucous, anticipatory laughter can be heard.]

Rohese
Saturday, November 11th, 2017, 5:27:18 AM

Rohese ~ Tensions in the Bayvel-Timsh'l Household (11th November)

“I’m not happy about this, Rohese.” Sighisoara furrowed his brow and leaned back in his chair with a heavy sigh.

Seeing how upset she had become, he rose and took both of her hands in his. In an attempt to reason with her, he adopted a more conciliatory tone.

“I appreciate why you have agreed to lead the delegation but you must surely understand my concern? You know that I am at a crucial stage in my research and cannot leave Ta’Illistim to accompany you.”

Rohese nodded and regarded him with deep affection.

“I have to do this. Even if the Argent Mirror hadn’t requested it of me, I would have gone on my own volition. If you’d only seen those encampments for yourself ... and the children ...”

Her voice caught and she averted her gaze to avoid him seeing the tears welling in her eyes. Sensing defeat, Sighisoara exhaled. Lifting her chin with his finger, he stared pointedly at her.

“I will let you go on one condition,” he reluctantly conceded. “You must stay with Lady Esana Lartuen-Ilynov at all times and send regular letters to let me know you are safe. The slightest hint of any hostility from those imperials and I will insist you return home immediately.”

Rohese was somewhat taken aback by the seriousness of his manner; he had never raised any objections to her philanthropic work in the past but his stance on this matter had put her on edge. Perhaps it was folly. Was she being naïve in believing they could make a difference?

“I will instruct the staff to prepare the Ebondrift house for you.” Sighisoara continued, turning to sit back at his desk. Rohese rested her hand on his arm.

“No need, my love. Do not trouble them as Hospitallier Dirra has already sent word that she has secured chambers in the Solhaven Inn for us all.” In an effort to appease him, she quickly added, “I think it would be safer if we stayed together and under the protection of the Order of the Azure Sun.”

Leaning in close to him, she kissed him tenderly on the cheek.

“I promise to be mindful and do nothing to put myself or members of my party in danger.” She sighed wistfully. “I wish you could come with us but I do understand.”

In an effort to lighten the mood, Rohese added casually, “I would like to purchase a new piece of art before I leave though.” Wrinkling her nose, she inwardly breathed a sigh of relief as she saw a grin break across her husband’s face.”

“Whatever you wish, pixie,” he chuckled, kissing her in return and seating himself back at his desk.

Rohese’s thoughts turned to other more frivolous matters while she had the chance. Now to decide what to wear to the art exhibition today!