Fishing: Analysis & Information Request

Alastir
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 12:08:42 PM
  • You will need a fishing pole, fishing line, and bait, all of which can be found in the Fishing Shack down on the pier in Caligos Isle, though you’re not required to purchase items from this shop - ANY fishing pole/wire/bait will function the same.
  • Source - Haliste

I suspect the word FUNCTION only refers to the ABILITY to use the system. Any pole/wire/bait will allow you to use the system.

Some wire is stronger than others, as evidenced by the strong wire being more expensive in the Fishing Shack. I suspect that some poles may be stronger than others, but I don't have a good way to test this. There is some speculation that the fishing rod that was found in Delirium Manor is stronger than others.

|Getting a fish on the line.| |---------------------------------|

There is a seasonal bonus, it’s better to fish in the spring and summer. Fall is neutral. Winter has a penalty. This isn’t really suppose to be revealed, but given seasons aren’t the same across the world, these seasons are reflected on the United States. Source - Wyrom

We are in the Fall season, so we do not get this bonus.

There are bonuses to fishing during certain hours of the day. This isn’t meant to be revealed. It’s not a random thing. Source - Wyrom Source - Wyrom: It's a random bonus, but everyone gets it. So for example. The bonus can be +1d5 during a certain time of the day. Everyone gets the bonus during that time, but Bob might get +3 and you might get +5 Source - Wyrom: This is per attempt too.

I believe the bonus associated with time is related to the messaging found in the time verb. At "It is currently afternoon" there is going to be a bonus at X depth & X distance. Since it is not random, you can mostly likely change your depth & distance throughout the day to take advantage of this bonus.

time Today is Niiman, day 12 of the month Jastatos in the year 5117. It is 14:10 by the elven time standard. It is currently afternoon.

|I am unable to track this properly, as most people use RAISE 100% of the time. We need people to try different depths & distances to get an accurate idea of this bonus.| |--------------------------------------------------------------| |I cannot see if you use a weight or not, I can only see your distance and time. If you want to help with this, a post saying I'll be using/not using (this) weight from X-hour to X-hour would be helpful.|

There are bonuses for the area you’re fishing in (is it a good/hot spot). Source - Wyrom Question - Are you talking about towns (Landing vs Icemule vs EG) when you say area or distance & depth? Answer - No. I’m talking about if the area is set up to be a hot spot. This is something a GM does. Source - Wyrom

I would guess that the EG fishing pool is a good/hot spot.

Your lure has a bonus as long as it’s used in the right depth of water. Source - Wyrom

Bait only appears to determine when a fish will nibble at a specific depth, the bait sold in the Fishing Shack functions at all depths so you should always receive this bonus.

Alastir
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 2:13:26 PM

|Reeling it in!| |-----------------|

Once the fish is on your line, there are a new set of checks. The only stat that is used in strength. Bigger fish are harder to catch from having an inherited strength bonus. Source - Wyrom

Every fish is going to have X weight. Your strength vs the weight of the fish appears to determine whether you will be successful in catching the fish. I suspect that some fish will always snap lines because of their weight. I didn't begin to log weight until just recently, but here are some of the ranges I have. If you catch a fish outside of these weight ranges, that is very important information, please post it along with your strength stat and bonus.

|If you would like to assist in this project, weigh the fish BEFORE you cut it and post the results here, along with your strength STAT and BONUS.| |---------------------------------------|

| Name | Weight | |:-------------:|:------------:| | blobfish | 14-23 | | hatchetfish | 16-22 | | monkfish | 11-23 | | mullet | 11-19 | | permit | 13-23 | | stargazer | 14-23 | | stonefish | 14-24 | | swellshark | 28-31 |

|The weight of the fish appears to be determined by time of day, your distance and depth.| |---------------|

Alastir
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 2:35:54 PM

PULL - Might be shared later.

Messaging - Might be shared later.

• I have more information to share, but I'm only willing to share if it I have assistance in testing. I've spent a lot of time and energy learning the system and I don't feel like anyone should benefit from that information if they're not willing to spend some time helping everyone else out.
ArchSenex
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 2:37:06 PM

@alastir said in Fishing: Analysis & Information Request:

I would guess that the EG fishing pool is a good/hot spot.

Think Retser posted on the officials using the term "hot fishing spot"

Durakar
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 4:55:40 PM

Did a bit of surface and mid-depths fishing but don't have that breakdown right now.

99 Strength, 29 Bonus

| Name | Weight | |:-------------:|:------------:| | blobfish | 17 | | frogfish| 6-10 | | hatchetfish| 14-19 | | monkfish | 11-27 | | mullet | 11-24 | | opah | 13-21 | | permit | 12-19 | | sole | 12-16 | |stargazer |17| |stonefish |14| |swellshark |14-22| |triggerfish | 14-22|

100 Str, 40 Bonus (48 for first 90 seconds of pulling): 19lb triggerfish - good distance / surface

Erous
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 6:55:18 PM

I have caught a 32 lb fish and sadly I didn't capture the details to post here, but as a side note, I have not broken a line yet. Not even 1, using my own rod and line.

Alastir
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 7:48:29 PM

@erous said in Fishing: Analysis & Information Request:

I have caught a 32 lb fish and sadly I didn't capture the details to post here, but as a side note, I have not broken a line yet. Not even 1, using my own rod and line.

Which rod? What's your strength stat and bonus?

Erous
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 7:54:25 PM

Sturdy silver chased fishing rod

look rod Judging by the rather frantic, tiny twitches from the line, you can tell your lure is skimming the surface of the water. The well-maintained yew wood of the expertly crafted rod is polished to a high sheen. Marbled grey leather is wound tightly around the handle for a firm grip. Looking closely at the side of the reel you see a detailed engraving of a dragon in flight. Etched along the rod in elegant script are the words "Ord and Dragan."

Without SURGE 108 (39)

Kaight
Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 9:22:05 PM

There is another player in Platinum that has a non-npc shop rod (treasure found) and has not snapped a line yet either.

Durakar
Friday, October 13th, 2017, 12:13:02 AM

99 STR (29 bonus):

permit, 13lb - mid-depth, good distance 6:57pm permit, 18lb - mid-depth, good distance 7:20pm mullet, 11lb - mid-depth, very long distance 7:41pm SNAP - mid-depth, good distance 7:54pm SNAP - mid-depth, very long distance 8:00pm stonefish, 19lb - bottom, good distance 8:17pm SNAP - bottom, very long distance 8:35pm SNAP - mid-depth, very long distance 8:41pm stonefish, 21lb - bottom, short distance 9:38pm blobfish, 17lb - bottom, very long distance 10:01pm hatchetfish, 17lb - bottom, good distance 10:22pm SNAP - bottom, very long distance 10:30pm SNAP - mid-depth, very long distance 10:37pm frogfish, 10lb - surface, good distance 10:53pm triggerfish, 14lb - surface, very long distance 10:59pm frogfish, 11lb - surface, short distance 11:12pm triggerfish, 18lb - surface, good distance 11:35pm triggerfish, 16lb - surface, very long distance 11:42pm

100 STR (40 bonus):

frogfish, 7lb - surface, good distance 6:58pm frogfish, 6lb - surface, good distance 7:14pm sole, 20lb - surface, very long distance 7:19pm triggerfish, 20 - surface, very long distance 7:22pm opah, 12lb - surface, good distance 7:40pm frogfish, 6lb - surface, good distance 8:05pm frogfish, 9lb - surface, good distance 8:44pm sole, 18lb - surface, good distance 8:55pm opah, 24lb - surface, good distance 9:20pm triggerfish, 15lb - surface, short distance 9:40pm SNAP - surface, short distance 9:50pm frogfish, 9lb - surface, very long distance 10:11pm opah, 19lb - surface, very long distance 10:53pm sole, 11lb - surface, very long distance 10:59pm frogfish, 8lb - surface, very long distance 11:05pm opah, 17lb - surface, very long distance 11:24pm triggerfish, 20lb - surface, very long distance 11:39pm triggerfish, 23lb - surface, good distance 12:11am

Ordim
Friday, October 13th, 2017, 7:32:00 AM

I use a rod found in the Goblyn games and the fiber wire, sometimes I snap line. I've recently just begun mashing PULL on cooldown and have about an 80% reel in rate. Frogfish, triggerfish, weight doesn't seem to matter much.

Erous
Friday, October 13th, 2017, 9:43:39 AM

R>glance You glance down to see nothing in your right hand and a flat coarse monkfish in your left hand.

weigh my monk You carefully examine the coarse monkfish and determine that the weight is about 31 pounds. Roundtime: 5 sec.

Personal Fishing rod with a lyretail and a heavy weight. RAISE was used Caught at approximately 940am eastern

R>glance You glance down to see a sturdy silver chased fishing rod in your right hand and a soft brown-striped swellshark in your left hand.

weigh swell You carefully examine the brown-striped swellshark and determine that the weight is about 27 pounds. Roundtime: 5 sec.

Personal Fishing rod with a lyretail and a heavy weight. RAISE was used Caught at approximately 948am eastern