Lich scripting: _drag vs. put

ineum
Sunday, October 1st, 2017, 10:36:17 AM

I recently had someone tell me that it is better to use _drag to put items in containers, as opposed to the traditional put command. _drag is the internal command StormFront uses for drag-and-drop operations, but I don't know enough about its behavior to fully understand the difference between the two. Does anyone know much about the differences between these two commands? In either case, the commands would be operating over item ID's, so the commands won't have to deal with any ambiguity in items.

ondreian
Sunday, October 1st, 2017, 2:23:01 PM

It's also one less network request for most use cases

ineum
Sunday, October 1st, 2017, 5:30:47 PM

Where does it save a network request? They both take the same arguments, so I'm not immediately seeing how it would save a network request (or at least a sent command).

ondreian
Sunday, October 1st, 2017, 5:33:54 PM

You generally have to get before you can put an object, but drag handles that for you

ineum
Sunday, October 1st, 2017, 5:49:11 PM

Ah! So it can move directly from one container to another, but it is less helpful if it's something you already have in your hand by some other cause (e.g. foraging, doing something else that requires it to be in hand to operate). I wonder if it has any other cleverness built into it.

Kragdruk
Monday, October 2nd, 2017, 12:12:10 AM

You can also _drag items into and out of your worn inventory.