Fun With Flares!

Vishra
Tuesday, September 12th, 2017, 10:18:40 PM

You swing a jade-inlaid black ora spikestar at an Ithzir champion! AS: +534 vs DS: +331 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +5 = +245 ... and hit for 53 points of damage! You broke the Ithzir champion's nose! You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.

* As your black ora spikestar connects with an Ithzir champion, a low hiss is heard and the shadows strike with greenish-black essence fangs! * ... 20 points of damage! Tendons in the Ithzir champion's weapon arm snap.

* Your black ora spikestar releases a shimmering beam of disintegration! *

... 15 points of damage! Patches of flesh removed from left hand.

* Your black ora spikestar releases a twisted tendril of force! *

... 15 points of damage! Loose wrist lock.

* A sickly green aura radiates from a jade-inlaid black ora spikestar and seeps into an Ithzir champion's wounds! *

... 15 points of damage! The Ithzir champion's right leg jerks momentarily.

God
Tuesday, September 12th, 2017, 10:20:46 PM

Nothing against this I think it's cool, but is it me or are flares just flashy and not much else mechanically speaking?

Vishra
Tuesday, September 12th, 2017, 10:21:43 PM

I don't know- in this case a majority of the damage came from the flares. It's nice against something in plate.

In fairness though, the only way to get this kind of screen scroll is if none of the flares are strong enough to kill something. So it skews the results a bit ;)

HJFudge
Tuesday, September 12th, 2017, 10:39:59 PM

Flares are great for non crit-killable things.

Sabotage
Tuesday, September 12th, 2017, 10:45:44 PM

Warmages

Vishra
Tuesday, September 12th, 2017, 10:48:49 PM

You are all in awe over the number of flares in one weapon.

You are stunned into silence.

Kaight
Thursday, September 14th, 2017, 11:44:10 AM

I think if you're swinging a two handed weapon, flares are kinda wasted. My personal experience is as a paladin though and its about a 33% (just guestimating) chance it's an instant kill.

When I used a OHB, I thought 1604 and knockout flares were awesome though. Especially knockout flares as they could knock opponents over regularly or instant kill.

If I solo'ed reim everyday though, I would want some rotflares for sure.

God
Thursday, September 14th, 2017, 11:55:55 AM

@kaight Rotflares won't work on undead though. They need to be corporeal and "have blood" according to Wyrom.

Kaight
Thursday, September 14th, 2017, 12:05:39 PM

Lol, Ty for reminding me God. I've never had rot flares and probably never will.

Someday I will finish forging on my wizard and work on crafting a perfect war mattock to enchant to 10x, t5 ensorcel, and add knockout flares too.

Over that rainbow kids, over that rainbow...

Thursday, September 14th, 2017, 2:52:58 PM

My favorite flaring weapon was my old Vaalorian Sarissa, with poleaxe, troll bane, and ensorcell on it: ~~~ You thrust with a fist-capped Vaalorian sarissa at a Grimswarm troll acolyte! AS: +402 vs DS: +377 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +55 = +119 ... and hit for 26 points of damage! Torn muscle in the troll acolyte's right leg!

* Necrotic energy from your Vaalorian sarissa overflows into you! *

You feel energized!

You feint back, then crack the troll acolyte with a hard shot! Suddenly, you reverse direction, and strike the troll acolyte again with the butt of your Vaalorian sarissa! ... 20 points of damage! Mighty blow cracks several ribs.

You reverse your sarissa again, and sweep the troll acolyte off his feet!

* Your Vaalorian sarissa flares with a burst of flame! *

... 20 points of damage! Burst of flames to chest toasts skin nicely. The troll acolyte howls in agony as the flames dance over his body! ... 20 points of damage! Burst of flames to back toasts skin nicely.

Roundtime: 5 sec. ~~~

Secondly, I enjoy my quiver... Adds guaranteed flares, and standard flares to hits, plus my bow is ensorcelled. ~~~ You nock a spiraled dark crimson kakore-shafted arrow in your dark sephwir longbow. A subtle pale yellow light glints off the tip of a spiraled dark crimson kakore-shafted arrow, leaving a faint trail as it travels through the air. You fire a spiraled dark crimson arrow at a craggy fog beetle! AS: +488 vs DS: +339 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +94 = +266 ... and hit for 68 points of damage! Slash across right eye! Hope the left is working. * Necrotic energy from your dark sephwir longbow overflows into you! * You feel energized! Your dark sephwir longbow fades some. * As your dark crimson arrow hits a craggy fog beetle, it gives off an electric shock! * ... 25 points of damage! Light shock to right arm. That stings! * The tip of the dark crimson arrow suddenly shatters and bursts into a pulse of crackling electricity! * ... 35 points of damage! Nasty shock to the head. The fog beetle looks dazed and confused. Roundtime: 6 sec. Roundtime changed to 1 second.

Vishra
Thursday, September 14th, 2017, 4:31:59 PM

That was some flare goodness right there, Whirlin. Thanks for sharing.

Who else has some fun flare snippets to share?

Points to the person who manages to beat the original post in terms of number of simultaneous flares (that aren't troll/fire related!)

Senak
Saturday, October 28th, 2017, 10:03:24 PM

kill You swing a well-balanced silver chased warhammer at a niirsha! AS: +312 vs DS: +183 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +97 = +255 ... and hit for 68 points of damage! Strike pierces forearm! The niirsha is stunned!

* Your silver chased warhammer surges with power as dark shadow coalesces around it! *

... 30 points of damage! Muscle blasted away from the niirsha's arm exposing scorched bone!

* Your silver chased warhammer pulses with a burst of plasma energy! *

... 30 points of damage! Vicious beam of energy rips open the niirsha's back!

* Your silver chased warhammer sprays with a burst of plasma energy! *

... 20 points of damage! Plasma encircles the niirsha's neck causing skin to shrivel and bleed!

You land a vicious blow to the head of the niirsha!

... 20 points of damage! Skull cracks in several places. Roundtime: 5 sec. R>

Vishra
Sunday, October 29th, 2017, 1:09:03 AM

This is great! I do love knockout flares.

Vishra
Sunday, October 29th, 2017, 11:28:26 PM

You swing a crystallized jade spikestar at a war griffin! AS: +510 vs DS: +246 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +85 = +377 ... and hit for 124 points of damage! Spinal cord damaged by smash to the back.

* Necrotic energy from your jade spikestar overflows into you! *

You feel healed!

* Your jade spikestar pulses with a burst of plasma energy! *

... 15 points of damage! Stinging burn to the war griffin's hand.

* Your jade spikestar sprays with a burst of plasma energy! *

... 25 points of damage! Stinging burn to the war griffin's hand.

* A sickly green aura radiates from a crystallized jade spikestar and seeps into a war griffin's wounds! *

... 5 points of damage! Spasm to the war griffin's right hand. You wince as the jade spikestar draws upon your blood as it strikes. * A slender jade and crimson tendril lashes out from a crystallized jade spikestar and slashes a war griffin's throat! *

... 30 points of damage! Strike dents the war griffin's larynx. Swallowing will be fun. The war griffin crashes to the ground, motionless.

*Note- you can see how the flare bonus full affinity, T3 parastic weapons get works here. The messaging "strike dents the war griffin's larynx" is a 5 point crit on the slash table, but it actually did 30 points of damage. I don't believe you typically see a corresponding increase in rank of the wound, however. But 25 extra points of damage isn't half bad. (Though someone let me know if I'm misunderstanding how the flare/crit table relationship works)

Goat
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017, 1:04:22 AM

Cross-post from the other place:

The last two went down 2 seconds after the swing, from the follow-up disease.

I forgot to activate ironwright flares for this hunt, but still managed twenty asterisks.

========================

You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies. With instinctive motions, you weave to and fro striking with deliberate and unrelenting fury! You thrust with a silvery blue mithril pike at a shambling lurk! AS: +624 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +72 = +434 ... and hit for 234 points of damage! Strike through both ears, foe is quite dead! You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the shambling lurk's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens. With a last inhuman twitch, a shambling lurk falls down, decay rapidly eating away at its lifeless body.

* Necrotic energy from your blue mithril pike overflows into you! *

You feel energized! You thrust with a silvery blue mithril pike at a shambling lurk! AS: +654 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +49 = +441 ... and hit for 233 points of damage! Lucky shot severs right hand and sends it flying. The shambling lurk is stunned!

* A sickly green aura radiates from a silvery blue mithril pike and seeps into a shambling lurk's wounds! *

... 25 points of damage! Blood in the shambling lurk's weapon arm boils, sending up a red mist. You thrust with a silvery blue mithril pike at a shambling lurk! AS: +654 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +78 = +470 ... and hit for 261 points of damage! Awesome shot shatters ribs and punctures lung! The shambling lurk is stunned!

You feel energized!

* A sickly green aura radiates from a silvery blue mithril pike and seeps into a shambling lurk's wounds! *

... 30 points of damage! The shambling lurk's thumb explodes in a shower of flesh and bone fragments. You thrust with a silvery blue mithril pike at a shambling lurk! AS: +654 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +35 = +427 ... and hit for 240 points of damage! Strike to the eye penetrates skull, ocular fluid sprays widely! You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the shambling lurk's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens. With a last inhuman twitch, a shambling lurk falls down, decay rapidly eating away at its lifeless body. You thrust with a silvery blue mithril pike at a shambling lurk! AS: +654 vs DS: +300 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +55 = +447 ... and hit for 262 points of damage! Incredible shot impales a kidney. Too painful to even scream. You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the shambling lurk's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens. With a last inhuman twitch, a shambling lurk falls down, decay rapidly eating away at its lifeless body.

You feel energized! Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you off-balance and out of position. Roundtime: 10 sec.

You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the shambling lurk's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens. With a last inhuman twitch, a shambling lurk falls down, decay rapidly eating away at its lifeless body. R> You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the shambling lurk's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens. With a last inhuman twitch, a shambling lurk falls down, decay rapidly eating away at its lifeless body.

Bonus Commentary: That was 5 separate lurks, all "fresh" before, all dead after. Only 2 rotflares out of the 5, because 3 of them were dead before the flare had a chance to trigger. My ensorcell AS flares are +30 and last for three swings.

There are a few undead creatures which "have blood", lurks being one. I think Wyrom mentioned that this "may be a bug" not too long ago. So rotflares works on them.

The pike has rotflares, ironwright flares, and ensorcell (and other stuff but that's all of the flaring).

The rotflares trigger on every strike (aside from killing blows, or ineligible creatures). The first strike causes a disease that triggers about 70-75 hidden damage, 2-3 seconds after that initial hit. If that doesn't finish it, there's also a a visible "damage over time" minor flare at the same time, good for an average of 9 damage and, rarely, a knockdown or stun. The hidden disease + visible DoT will trigger again every 30 seconds, which is nice if someone gets me in a long stun or whatever.

Vishra
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017, 1:05:45 AM

Yay! Derg joined the thread! I made fun of you on lnet, but seeing a sorcerer with rotflares makes me feel inadequate.

ondreian
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017, 9:15:13 AM

```log [winchester]>kill #56421899 You are now in an offensive stance. [winchester]>stance defensive You swing a coraesine longhammer at a half-elven outlaw! AS: +252 vs DS: +170 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +83 = +190 ... and hit for 48 points of damage! Pierced through neck, a fine shot! The half-elven outlaw is stunned! You feel a slight resistance from the weapon.
Quicker than you are able to react the resistance fades and you notice your movements speed up! You swing a coraesine longhammer at a half-elven outlaw! AS: +252 vs DS: +150 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +91 = +218 ... and hit for 67 points of damage! Well aimed strike shatters bone in left arm! You feel a slight resistance from the weapon.
Quicker than you are able to react the resistance fades and you notice your movements speed up! As you attack, you and your coraesine longhammer seem to move together in perfect tandem, making your strike feel almost effortless! You swing a coraesine longhammer at a half-elven outlaw! AS: +252 vs DS: +143 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +72 = +206 ... and hit for 70 points of damage! Whoosh! Several ribs driven into lungs. You feel a slight resistance from the weapon. Quicker than you are able to react the resistance fades and you notice your movements speed up! You swing a coraesine longhammer at a half-elven outlaw! AS: +252 vs DS: +140 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +98 = +235 ... and hit for 79 points of damage! Strike to right arm cleanly severs it at the shoulder! The outlaw's morning star falls to the ground. The half-elven outlaw is knocked to the ground! You feel a slight resistance from the weapon.
Quicker than you are able to react the resistance fades and you notice your movements speed up! You swing a coraesine longhammer at a half-elven outlaw! AS: +252 vs DS: +108 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +91 = +260 ... and hit for 98 points of damage! Blow ruptures the stomach! [You have 14 kills remaining.] The half-elven outlaw rolls over and dies.

-- Barely breaking your momentum, you continue on to attack a halfling thug! --

You swing a coraesine longhammer at a halfling thug! AS: +227 vs DS: +142 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +71 = +187 ... and hit for 64 points of damage! Damaging strike to chest, several ribs shattered! The halfling thug is stunned! Roundtime: 5 sec. ```

Vishra
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017, 11:28:29 AM

impure coraesine is magic

Erous
Tuesday, December 5th, 2017, 10:22:33 AM

First big flare from a spike for me.

A stooped being claws at you! In the nick of time, you interpose your vultite tower shield between yourself and the attack! You manage to angle your vultite tower shield just right so that the stooped being comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

* A spike on your vultite tower shield jabs into the stooped being! * ... 25 points of damage! Slash across back of hand, tendons sliced! The stooped being is stunned!

Erous
Tuesday, December 12th, 2017, 6:21:09 PM

Another fun one on the books:

A war griffin swoops down from high overhead! A war griffin tries to bite you! With no room to spare, you block the attack with your vultite tower shield! You manage to angle your vultite tower shield just right so that the war griffin comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

* A spike on your vultite tower shield jabs into the war griffin! * ... 30 points of damage! Nice shot to the head gouges the war griffin's cheek!

Naamit
Tuesday, December 12th, 2017, 6:24:40 PM

I got a quadruple!

You attempt to grapple a half-elven rogue! You have excellent positioning against a half-elven rogue. UAF: 252 vs UDF: 207 = 1.217 * MM: 132 + d100: 26 = 186 ... and hit for 55 points of damage! Amazing throw sends the half-elven rogue in one direction, but left arm stays behind! The rogue's reinforced shield falls to the ground.

* Your rolaren-bladed cestus releases a twisted tendril of force! *

... 25 points of damage! Hard blow to chest knocks the half-elven rogue back and winds him.

* Your rolaren-bladed cestus releases a twisted tendril of force! *

... 15 points of damage! Leg sweep keeps a half-elven rogue's feet overhead.

* Necrotic energy from your grey spidersilk hand-wraps overflows into you! *

You feel healed!

* Your grey spidersilk hand-wraps release a twisted tendril of force! *

... 20 points of damage! Hard shove to the chest staggers the half-elven rogue.