Favorite / Current Good book recommendations

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 10:00:06 AM

As a fairly voracious reader (three to five novels a week, if not more), I frequently find myself looking for something 'new' to read. To that end, I thought people could share book recommendations / their favorite books, maybe with a blurb about each. If this ends up largely self-serving, I'm good with that. I want recommendations for ME first and foremost.

But to get, sometimes you have to give first.

(Some of the) Best Books I've Ever Read: * The Watchers, by Dean Koontz. This is my litmus test. If anyone reads this and doesn't love it, they clearly have no soul. * The Name of the Wind / The Wise Man's Fear - The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss. This is an incredible saga, unfinished though it still is to this point. It's the epitome of the fantasy genre in my mind. I'm dearly awaiting Book 3, but have read these two many, many times. * 14, by Peter Clines. There's good horror (Steven King), but then there's a pure thriller. That's what 14 is. Most books have a series of plot or thematic climbs and falls. You build to a miniature peak, then come back down, only to rise to the next peak. This book doesn't do that. It's a steady, steep climb farther than you'd think was possible. * The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. Noir fantasy with a fantastic sense of humor, action in spades, fantastic characters that develop over time... I can't say enough good things about this series. * The Nightlord Books, by Garon Whited. Realistic journal-style approach to a Vampire story, crossed with the sort of world-building that you might expect out of a Grand Strategy Game. (Incredibly) long novels, each of them, and they get a bit tedious in parts, but it's a fascinating journey all the same. * The Hellequin Chronicles, by Steve McHugh. The first book is NOT how the series goes. It's a one-off, with a completely different self-contained approach from the rest of the series. But it's a great storyline all the same. I'd summarize, but it would ruin the first book if I gave anything away. Suffice it to say: Great action, entertaining magic system, political intrigue (of sorts), believable bad guys and drama. Good reads. * Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. If you haven't read this, you should. It's fantastically funny, smart, witty, crass, crude, irreverent, silly, tender, and an incredible amount of fun. It's a light(ish) read, and make sure you get a version that includes the footnotes. * The King's Dark Tidings series, by Kel Kade (AKA the Rezkin books). These have a serious problem with suspension of disbelief. The basic premise they ask you to swallow right up front is very, VERY hard to stomach. Once you choke it down, though, these are fantastically entertaining books. There's so much backhanded humor woven into the interactions between the main character and his companions that it's a joy to read, and re-read. The action scenes are all fun, and there's a fairly strong plot rolling through the series. As I said, though, that initial premise sticks in the craw at first. * The Super Powereds series, by Drew Hayes. This is a series of books set in a world where super heroes are real. A character-driven series, this is a relentlessly entertaining read. Genuine good guys and bad guys, betrayal, tragedy, and a setup where almost NOTHING is what it seems. Currently re-reading these, and enjoying them more than I did the first time through, which is saying something.

Note about the above: Clearly I prefer series to standalone novels. This is largely because I read so much. It's comforting to have a whole series waiting on me when I start out. I prefer fantasy, but not too serious fantasy (No George RR Martin for me). I like action, I prefer a male protagonist, humor is a good thing, as is sexuality if it's not too overstated.

My biggest preference, though, is characters acting TOTALLY believably to an incredibly unbelievable scenario. 14 is a great example of that. Events spiral way (WAY) out of control, but the people involved react exactly how "real" people would. I'm a sucker for that above almost all else.

Also of note: I listen to almost everything I 'read' as an audiobook. If you recommend something that isn't available on Audible (or elsewhere) as an audiobook, it might get added to my list, but my physical reading of books is much slower than what I listen to (and there's a decent queue of them already).

So, if you're willing, post up some of your favorites, maybe with a blurb about what drew you to them. Maybe we can help each other find a new favorite book/series!

Sabotage
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 10:40:26 AM

@0zymandius I'm enjoying The Painted Man series by Peter Brett. It is still on going, but I think there is only 1 book left. They are fairly short reads.

I liked the different approach to magic and the characters. I'm lazy so here is an internet synopsis.

As darkness falls after sunset, the corelings rise—demons who possess supernatural powers and burn with a consuming hatred of humanity. For hundreds of years the demons have terrorized the night, slowly culling the human herd that shelters behind magical wards—symbols of power whose origins are lost in myth and whose protection is terrifyingly fragile. It was not always this way. Once, men and women battled the corelings on equal terms, but those days are gone. Night by night the demons grow stronger, while human numbers dwindle under their relentless assault. Now, with hope for the future fading, three young survivors of vicious demon attacks will dare the impossible, stepping beyond the crumbling safety of the wards to risk everything in a desperate quest to regain the secrets of the past. Together, they will stand against the night

LivderaDeralleur
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 10:48:45 AM

I came to recommend the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, but I see it is already recommended.

I recommend it, as well.

Also - the audiobook versions of the Dresden Files are pretty amazing. Narrated by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy). He does an awesome job voicing everything.

Other books I've enjoyed: - Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs - Outlander series by Diana Gabboldon (sp - can never spell her last name correctly!) - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (though the later books in the series get a bit odd, the first one is amazing.) - Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 10:51:35 AM

@livderaderalleur said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

Also - the audiobook versions of the Dresden Files are pretty amazing. Narrated by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy). He does an awesome job voicing everything.

I couldn't agree more with this.

Also, if you're an audiobook aficionado, then the Kingkiller books become even MORE of a must-read/listen. The narrator for those is simply incredible.

Maylan
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 10:55:42 AM

@0zymandius - great list!!

I recently finished American Gods, and now I'm on to the Dresden Files. I'd like to recommend Robin Hobb, particularly the Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy.

Edit: I see you've recommended Patrick Rothfuss (one of my favs!). Rothfuss and Hobb are huge fans of each other, if that helps give you any indication of Hobb's talents. She's great with world-building and character development.

ineum
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

Here are some more series to throw into the ring:

• The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, by Scott Lynch. The elevator pitch of this series would be "Gritty Ocean's Eleven in a Steampunkish Venice". Unlike Ocean's Eleven, the main characters are generally not cruising through the challenges that face them, and I enjoy the writing, making it really enjoyable to read through. Three of seven books are out, and the fourth is out sometime soonish?
  • The Expanse series, by James S. A. Corey. Fairly hard sci-fi about a future in which mankind can traverse/settle parts of the solar system. If you're familiar with Attack on Titan, this is a series which has no brakes, and tends to keep raising the stakes. There's also a TV series, and both are really enjoyable.
  • Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Fantasy book series written in to a challenge when Jim Butcher claimed that good writing can make any story idea work. Someone challenged him to write a book combining Pokemon with the Lost Roman Legion, and it turns out he can in fact make it work.
  • Mistborn series, by Brandon Sanderson. Fantasy series set in a world in which the bad guy won, and civilization has evolved under his rule for a very long time. The magic system in this series is very interesting, based on people who are capable of consuming and using specific metals to produce particular effects.
  • Discworld Series, by Terry Pratchett. Ridiculous, hilarious, British satire wrapped up inside a fantasy series about a disc carried on the back of a giant turtle. There are a ton of books in this series, to the point that the series is broken down into different sub-series depending on which set of characters are the central protagonists of a given book.
Obsalyn
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:04:25 AM

My favorite series of all time has to be the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:08:09 AM

@sabotage said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

@0zymandius I'm enjoying The Painted Man series by Peter Brett. It is still on going, but I think there is only 1 book left. They are fairly short reads.

I liked the different approach to magic and the characters. I'm lazy so here is an internet synopsis.

As darkness falls after sunset, the corelings rise—demons who possess supernatural powers and burn with a consuming hatred of humanity. For hundreds of years the demons have terrorized the night, slowly culling the human herd that shelters behind magical wards—symbols of power whose origins are lost in myth and whose protection is terrifyingly fragile. It was not always this way. Once, men and women battled the corelings on equal terms, but those days are gone. Night by night the demons grow stronger, while human numbers dwindle under their relentless assault. Now, with hope for the future fading, three young survivors of vicious demon attacks will dare the impossible, stepping beyond the crumbling safety of the wards to risk everything in a desperate quest to regain the secrets of the past. Together, they will stand against the night

Nice! Downloaded on Audible, and will give it a go when I finish my current one. Thanks!

allereli
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:08:48 AM

@maylan said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

I recently finished American Gods, and now I'm on to the Dresden Files. I'd like to recommend Robin Hobb, particularly the Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy.

Edit: I see you've recommended Patrick Rothfuss (one of my favs!). Rothfuss and Hobb are huge fans of each other, if that helps give you any indication of Hobb's talents. She's great with world-building and character development.

If only Rothfuss could be as efficient with writing time as Hobb. She wrote the whole Fitz and Fool trilogy in the same time that Rothfuss has not finished book 3. I'm holding off on Assassin's Fate until the Kindle price goes down, and I also know I'm going to end up bawling.

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:09:29 AM

@maylan said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

American Gods is incredible. It's the least entertaining 'great' book I've ever read. Which isn't to say it's not entertaining (it is). But it's so massive, and relentlessly obscure, that I was never really sure where I stood with regards to my comprehension of what was going on. For all that, a stunningly well-written book.

Maylan
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:15:00 AM

@allereli I'm also holding off on Assassin's Fate, but only because I was really excited to start the Dresden Files. To be honest, I think Hobb has lost just a touch of her magic. Her later books aren't holding my interest as much as the first Farseer trilogies. And YES, Rothfuss needs to just...just finish the damn book. But as an aside, I love his Twitch channel. Dude gets really grumpy and it's entertaining to watch.

@0zymandius - I really enjoyed American Gods as well. I felt like I needed a better background in lore and mythology to really understand the characters though. I was often left feeling that I was missing some greater point or sentiment that Gaiman was attempting to convey.

ArchSenex
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:31:54 AM

I enjoy the Mercy Thompson series, Mostly because it's a series about the supernatural that DOESN'T sound like the author spends every night masturbating to fantasies about how amazing X group is, and they'd be able to totally dominate every other supernatural out there. Werewolves are strong, because they're in groups. Vampires are strong, but they can't work together (so don't give them a reason to!). And the Fey are super strong, but have billions of rules and also don't work together.

HJFudge
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:32:30 AM

One book series, its a trilogy, that no one ever mentions but which I loved:

The Eyes of God by John Marco.

Set in what I'd call a low fantasy, medieval world...it deals with two people who are like brothers but who are driven apart. There's no classic bad guy, really. All of John Marco's books are like that (his other series Tyrants and Kings is a great example!) but this series of his...well, its my favorite.

It's a beautiful story, man. Like, legit made me cry near the end of the first book!

Raelee
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 11:54:11 AM

Not that this really helps... but I'm so happy to see another Peter Clines reader. 14 was phenomenal. (And his Ex-Heroes series is a guilty pleasure of mine. I acknowledge how silly it is. It's pretty cheeseball. I like it anyway.)

My go-to when recommending stuff is usually the work of Hugh Howey... unfortunately very little of his work is available in audio form. (I love his Silo series - the Wool/Shift/Dust trilogy. It's sci-fi + conspiracy mystery.) He does have one novel on Audible (Beacon 23), but I haven't read that one yet so I can't really recommend it.

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:01:53 PM

@raelee said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

Not that this really helps... but I'm so happy to see another Peter Clines reader. 14 was phenomenal. (And his Ex-Heroes series is a guilty pleasure of mine. I acknowledge how silly it is. It's pretty cheeseball. I like it anyway.)

My go-to when recommending stuff is usually the work of Hugh Howey... unfortunately very little of his work is available in audio form. (I love his Silo series - the Wool/Shift/Dust trilogy. It's sci-fi + conspiracy mystery.) He does have one novel on Audible (Beacon 23), but I haven't read that one yet so I can't really recommend it.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Fold, by Clines. I did try the Ex-heroes, but couldn't really get all the way into it, so left off halfway through the first book. It's on my list of things to get back into at some point.

HJFudge
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:03:09 PM

Another great book series:

The First Law - Joe Abercrombie

Its gritty, its real, its some excellent characters within it with some interesting motivations. It keeps you guessing and keeps you on the edge of your seat and paints an interesting world!

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:04:41 PM

@hjfudge said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

One book series, its a trilogy, that no one ever mentions but which I loved:

The Eyes of God by John Marco.

Set in what I'd call a low fantasy, medieval world...it deals with two people who are like brothers but who are driven apart. There's no classic bad guy, really. All of John Marco's books are like that (his other series Tyrants and Kings is a great example!) but this series of his...well, its my favorite.

It's a beautiful story, man. Like, legit made me cry near the end of the first book!

See... I need someone to root for. I need a hero (cue bad 80s music). Television shows, movies, or books without a clear-cut hero that I can root for (no matter how flawed they might otherwise be) do almost nothing for me.

The clearest delineation I can draw is one my wife coined for me a while back. My absolute perfect narrative is Die Hard. Everyman in WAY over his head against impossible odds guts his way through the situation by doing the 'right thing' no matter what. One can easily draw a VERY clear line from that to Dresden... and that's my absolute preferred narrative.

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:05:36 PM

@hjfudge said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

Another great book series:

The First Law - Joe Abercrombie

Its gritty, its real, its some excellent characters within it with some interesting motivations. It keeps you guessing and keeps you on the edge of your seat and paints an interesting world!

Read that! And it's definitely a good read (as are the subsequent books). It got a little gritty for me in places, and the narrator wasn't top-notch, which didn't help. I got bored in places, even. However, overall it was a pretty good read.

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:07:23 PM

@archsenex said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

I enjoy the Mercy Thompson series, Mostly because it's a series about the supernatural that DOESN'T sound like the author spends every night masturbating to fantasies about how amazing X group is, and they'd be able to totally dominate every other supernatural out there. Werewolves are strong, because they're in groups. Vampires are strong, but they can't work together (so don't give them a reason to!). And the Fey are super strong, but have billions of rules and also don't work together.

My wife LOVES the Mercy Thompson books (as well as any number of similar series... female protagonist, urban fantasy, preternaturally hot dudes smoldering across the pages...) It's on my list to give a try at some point, but the overall premise makes me leery that it's maybe not marketed to me.

ArchSenex
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:10:17 PM

@0zymandius said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

My wife LOVES the Mercy Thompson books (as well as any number of similar series... female protagonist, urban fantasy, preternaturally hot dudes smoldering across the pages...) It's on my list to give a try at some point, but the overall premise makes me leery that it's maybe not marketed to me.

While it does have some scenes where gender is part of the discussion, it's hardly a common or even primary theme. And actually, the attractiveness of the males isn't really a major focus at all (nor are they supposed to be).

It's really more about the interplay of the supernatural creatures, first and foremost. If you're interested at all, read (or listen, as I did audiobooks) to the first one and go from there. It does not feel especially targeted at women though.

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:11:23 PM

@0zymandius said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

While it does have some scenes where gender is part of the discussion, it's hardly a common or even primary theme. And actually, the attractiveness of the males isn't really a major focus at all (nor are they supposed to be).

It's really more about the interplay of the supernatural creatures, first and foremost. If you're interested at all, read (or listen, as I did audiobooks) to the first one and go from there. It does not feel especially targeted at women though.

Fair enough. I'll move it up the list and see how it goes. Thanks!

LivderaDeralleur
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 1:52:26 PM

Another few I've thought of:

• Old Man's War by John Scalzi This is an interesting premise that I really enjoyed. It is more sci-fi than fantasy, of course. Basically when you hit 75 years old on Earth, you can join a mysterious armed forces for off-planet colony guard duty in which rumor has it they have special tech to make old people fit again. This has more than one book, too, though I've only read one more.

• "Magic 2.0" series by Scott Meyer This starts off with "Off to be the Wizard". It's another interesting premise, but with more humor injected into it. You may find more humor in it if you have a little knowledge of programming, as basic premise is someone finds a way to actually affect things in the real world using some sort of shady backdoor program he finds online. Time travel happens and hijinx ensues. This also has more than one book and I have had a blast reading all of them, (I sort of discovered this series through one of Audible's sales and I haven't regretted it.)

• "Ready Player One" by Ernist Cline ... they're making a movie based on this book very soon. Probably more amusing to gamers, though I enjoyed the descriptions of the world, etc. I even enjoyed it as an audiobook despite the fact Will Wheaton is the narrator and he's not the best audiobook narrator there is, honestly.

HJFudge
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 1:54:39 PM

Im going to give a big TWO THUMBS UP for Old Man's War...that whole series is amazing.

Another book series I really enjoyed:

Heroe's Die by Matthew Stover - An excellent blend of sci-fi and fantasy with some interesting concepts that I like. A great story and a great main character.

0zymandius
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 1:20:47 PM

@livderaderalleur said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

• "Ready Player One" by Ernist Cline ... they're making a movie based on this book very soon. Probably more amusing to gamers, though I enjoyed the descriptions of the world, etc. I even enjoyed it as an audiobook despite the fact Will Wheaton is the narrator and he's not the best audiobook narrator there is, honestly.

I haven't read this one in particular, but I did dive into the LitRPG subgenre a bit and found a couple of enjoyable reads. The Way of the Shaman books (by Vasily Mahanenko) and Awaken Online books (by Travis Bagwell) are both good reads. Awaken Online was what first put the bug in my ear to come back to Gemstone, as so many of the small things that are referenced in it are so familiar to GS players.

Tisket
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 2:09:49 AM

I too listen to Audible recordings, usually while driving or working around the house. Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations trilogy is outstanding. And it's narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds. I'd listen to that man read a dictionary. The trilogy is, Theft of Swords (22 hours narration time), Rise of Empire (26 hours), and Heir of Novron (32 hours.) I included each book's recorded length because, if you are an Audible member like me, then you probably like to spend your credits on longer recordings rather than the shorter ones.

Just really great storytelling. Here's the Audible link:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Theft-of-Swords-Audiobook/B007KSJKI8/ref=asearchc417_srTtl?qid=1503640151&sr=1-7

0zymandius
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 6:58:38 AM

@tisket said in Favorite / Current Good book recommendations:

I too listen to Audible recordings, usually while driving or working around the house. Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria Revelations trilogy is outstanding. And it's narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds. I'd listen to that man read a dictionary. The trilogy is, Theft of Swords (22 hours narration time), Rise of Empire (26 hours), and Heir of Novron (32 hours.) I included each book's recorded length because, if you are an Audible member like me, then you probably like to spend your credits on longer recordings rather than the shorter ones.

Just really great storytelling. Here's the Audible link:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Theft-of-Swords-Audiobook/B007KSJKI8/ref=asearchc417_srTtl?qid=1503640151&sr=1-7

Heh. I ABSOLUTELY tend to prefer longer books, to get the most out of my credits. That's where the Nightlord series really shines for me. It's entertaining all on its own, but the books average around 40 hours or so in length.

There's a 'size matters' joke in here somewhere, but I'll leave it alone.

Theft of Swords added to wishlist, thanks!