Official: Duskruin - August 2017 - Bloodforge and Smelter Open

Alastir
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 12:41:51 AM

@Wyrom posted Bloodforge and Smelter Open

I've gone ahead and opened the bloodforge and smelter. The blacksmith assistant in the workshop is just a husk right now. You can go ahead and transmute pendants or try out the new smelter. The smelter area works like the one at Ebon Gate. Just ASK MINER about COST and ASK MINER about ORE.

We're still working on the smithy. More information will be posted about weighting/padding before the smithy opens.

Wyrom, PM

Alastir
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 12:44:01 AM

[Bloodforge, Workshop - 26091]

Piles of crimson powder cover the floor beneath a large opening.

ask miner about ore * The dwarven miner turns to you and says, "No refunds, remember! Ask me again if you're sure." ask miner about cost * The dwarven miner turns to you and says, "Each chunk of ore costs 5 bloodscrip.

Ordim
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 7:44:09 AM

thats cheaper than the EG slab generator even at the current cost conversion. noice.

0zymandius
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 8:08:56 AM

So... I just got an invite on my warrior... which is something I did NOT expect to happen. I was just happily farming BS as best I could. But now I'm trying to figure out if I have a good project to get worked on (and enough BS to make it happen).

I understand details have been scarce (though I did read the vague teaser about number of 'services' and their cost), but I was trying to figure out... is this the point at which weighting/padding will be able to be added to flaring items? Or do I need to be looking to get a 'vanilla' item worked on? The best thing I have that would benefit (at least at the moment) is some nice flaring UAC gear, but if I need to pursue something else, I can do that. Just not sure if we know yet what the parameters are going to be.

OldSkool
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 10:02:02 AM

There are some rather important unknowns at this time. We don't know how padding/weighting will scale. We don't know what one "service" adds. We do know that you can get up to 25 of them on one item.

I believe that you can have one service performed per invitation. If that's correct, you will need 25 invites to max out an item. That's no small feat, considering how many people seem to have gone through multiple books without an invite, and I don't know too many people who are going to do 25-50 books to hit that threshold. I hope I'm mistaken, here.

0zymandius
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 10:06:29 AM

@oldskool said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017 - Bloodforge and Smelter Open:

There are some rather important unknowns at this time. We don't know how padding/weighting will scale. We don't know what one "service" adds. We do know that you can get up to 25 of them on one item.

I believe that you can have one service performed per invitation. If that's correct, you will need 25 invites to max out an item. That's no small feat, considering how many people seem to have gone through multiple books without an invite, and I don't know too many people who are going to do 25-50 books to hit that threshold. I hope I'm mistaken, here.

I hadn't considered that.. so a single invite might just mean getting +1 point of padding or weighting on an item, or something similar. That would... well, it wouldn't be pleasant. But I take your overall meaning. We're in 'wait and see' mode for now.

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 12:44:15 PM

I got the impression that you could do all 25 on a single invite, based on Discord chatter. Basically, each invite is one item. But who knows until details.

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 12:48:48 PM

Plix - Last Sunday at 10:52 PM so each invite lets you do 25 service to 1 item? Wyrom - Last Sunday at 10:52 PM My hammer :frowning: Tysong - Last Sunday at 10:52 PM what constitutes a PERFECT WIN @Wyrom Wyrom - Last Sunday at 10:52 PM Yes, @Plix 250 bloodscrip.

Obviously, Discord is an ad-hoc chat platform, and there was a LOT flying around, but that's uncut between the question and answer.

Ordim
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 12:50:36 PM

I just don't get why that could not have been added from the start. I'm going to buy 1 book this run to be spent on hiring a community manager.

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 12:52:10 PM

@ordim said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017 - Bloodforge and Smelter Open:

I just don't get why that could not have been added from the start. I'm going to buy 1 book this run to be spent on hiring a community manager.

I would back that a Proper, full-time CM would be a huge help. Wyrom has said he wants a more modern approach, and that position is part of modern.

That person could also help... soften... some of the more coarse GM's messaging/language. I have commented before that a couple of them could stand from having a PR Person (they know what they're doing, but lord do they need somebody who knows how to say things).

0zymandius
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 1:12:16 PM

@archsenex said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017 - Bloodforge and Smelter Open: (they know what they're doing, but lord do they need somebody who knows how to say things).

So much this. Seriously. There have been a few GM interactions where I've had to make all kinds of allowances for tone and things, and try and see what they were actually getting at. One of these interactions recently at the Premium Fest is what made my wife stop playing altogether. Wyrom usually does a very good job being open, honest and blunt (which I appreciate more than I can say), but not all of them have the ability to come across well in an unscripted, extemporaneous forum.

Wyrom
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 2:52:00 PM

I'll start looking on Indeed for a CM for a $50 salary, assuming we give 100% of all that booklet to the CM.

As for why can't we talk about it, it's because the delay is due to missing a critical system update. It happens, we have a much better track record these days for project completion though. You're not waiting years for vaporware. You're just waiting several more days.

Ordim
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 2:56:17 PM

I'm premium, I get books @ $45. Who is adding the extra $5?

Wyrom
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 2:57:29 PM

Heh. Okay, I'll make sure the salary is noted!

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 2:58:45 PM

@wyrom said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017 - Bloodforge and Smelter Open:

Don't forget to list the perks, all the Verbal abuse and tears you could ever want!

Ordim
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 2:58:55 PM

And muffins.

Wyrom
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:01:20 PM

@archsenex said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017 - Bloodforge and Smelter Open:

Don't forget to list the perks, all the Verbal abuse and tears you could ever want!

I play other MMOs, it's not really too bad. There are just deep misunderstandings with the vocal GemStone IV crowd.

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:03:12 PM

@archsenex said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017 - Bloodforge and Smelter Open:

I play other MMOs, it's not really too bad. There are just deep misunderstandings with the vocal GemStone IV crowd.

Yeah. Every game has vocal people. At least GS isn't one of those games that re-invents EVERY class every two years...

I think much of the playerbase would benefit from a trip to othergameland, specifically other MMO's and other Microtrans games. GSIV is Cheap, as far as Microtrans go (I came back to it to cut my expenses, I was going a little crazy on phone games) and most other MMO's, every piece of gear will die within two years.

0zymandius
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:04:59 PM

I play one (and only one) other game that's Microtrans based. The difference between it and Gemstone from a development/communication/bugfix/QOL standpoint is enormous. It's why I still love this stupid game after all these years.

Wyrom
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:11:46 PM

Yeah. Every game has vocal people. At least GS isn't one of those games that re-invents EVERY class every two years...

I think much of the playerbase would benefit from a trip to othergameland, specifically other MMO's and other Microtrans games. GSIV is Cheap, as far as Microtrans go (I came back to it to cut my expenses, I was going a little crazy on phone games) and most other MMO's, every piece of gear will die within two years.

You haven't played ESO then. They reinvent classes every other quarter it seems. I don't even know how to play my nightblade anymore.

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:14:50 PM

You haven't played ESO then. They reinvent classes every other quarter it seems. I don't even know how to play my nightblade anymore.

I DID play ESO. For about 5 minutes, during one of the Betas. And then I didn't play ESO any more.

Wyrom
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:17:18 PM

I DID play ESO. For about 5 minutes, during one of the Betas. And then I didn't play ESO any more.

I like it, because I like TES. But I play MAYBE a few hours a month these days.

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:19:17 PM

I like it, because I like TES. But I play MAYBE a few hours a month these days.

I hate it, because I like TES :p.

The reason TES was a GREAT series is that after a short while, you eventually become a god. You can walk anywhere in the world, and just flatten anything that stands in your way. Sure, you start out where a bear can kill you, and those giants were dangerous for a while, but eventually, you get to the point where you can Crit kill the final boss in the game with a single arrow.

This doesn't translate well to MMOs.

OldSkool
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 3:27:37 PM

@archsenex I certainly hope you are correct. If that is the case, I will definitely participate. I have plenty of projects!

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 4:55:14 PM

I got the impression that you could do all 25 on a single invite, based on Discord chatter. Basically, each invite is one item. But who knows until details.

Coase has confirmed.

OldSkool
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 6:25:06 PM

@archsenex

Excellent. Thanks for posting the confirmation. Guess i had better get my ass working on an invite.

Ordim
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 6:51:56 PM

I doubled the salary of your CM single handily. Also books for silvers is a good thing.