General rave and shameless self promotion

Flimbo
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 11:50:33 PM

Most of you probably already know this because I tend to talk about it when I get really drunk on Lnet, but five years ago last weekend, my girlfriend was murdered. At that point, among...like a million other things, I said "screw it" to my then career and just started doing what I had always wanted to do, which was artwork, and graphic design in general.

Well, as is obvious, starting my own business, building up a client list and doing the work that they wanted done was less than gratifying or praiseworthy, especially considering a dragged out murder trial and a million other things going on at the time.

Anyway, point is, couple months ago, I signed on with a company to be the head of marketing for an international muffinarium (read: large bakery) and dropped most of my clients. One of the first things I learned was that their profit margins were just obscene levels of razor thin because they have all of their bakeware, packaging and labeling made in America. My specialty for the last few years has been to send my artwork to China to be placed on packages to have it stolen and regurgitated around the world on other company's packaging without paying me royalties.

Long story, well it's still already pretty long, but long story short-ish, I'm marketing a new product for the muffinarium, and I needed nice packaging. The muffinarium lets me do basically whatever I want artistically because I'm a department head, which I've never been before. What I'm trying to convey is, normally, especially with client input determining how good or bad my end result is, doing artwork doesn't generate much praise. But I just got some from a sales rep for a factory in Shenzhen that touched me and sparked this long self promoting rave, and it made me feel good about my career decision for the first time in a long time. So I wanted to share it. :D

alt text

Vishra
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 12:10:47 AM

That's great Flimbo. Congrats on doing so well at something you really feel passionate about!