Sanctify on armor

Flimbo
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:12:16 PM

@Wyrom

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I could be here, but to my knowledge, sanctify on armor, especially armor such as robes, because that's literally the only important one because Monks, but I digress...sanctify on armor seems to serve no purpose other than to A) take up a slot that could otherwise be taken by something useful, and B) make ensorcelling more difficult.

It seems more like an oversight that armor generates via the treasure system with a property that has no purpose now that ensorcelling is a thing.

It also seems like something that would likely be an easy fix if it's just a matter of taking it out of the mix for certain types of armor in the treasure gen system, as this is already a thing done with other properties.

Is this something that is being or can be looked at?

Ordim
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:14:02 PM

You can now damage undead with cmans that use the body part covered by the armor if you are a cleric or paladin. I will not list specifics because effort, but the list is somewhat short, but not unheard of.

Flimbo
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:15:05 PM

@ordim Yeah I figured there's some usage for Paladins with CMans, in which case, leave sanctify available on you know...plate. Or hauberk even, but come on now...robes? What cleric's runnin' around slingin' cmans in robes? Can Clerics even get cmans that function with sanctified armor?

Ordim
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:16:28 PM

Would be neat if it was expanded to maybe give a bonus to defense against Sheer fear or something.

Flimbo
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:17:20 PM

@ordim said in Sanctify on armor:

Would be neat if it was expanded to maybe give a bonus to defense against Sheer fear or something.

Never! Monks only can do that! MONKS ONLY!

But yeah that's an interesting idea too. Giving it something that it does rather than removing it. Either way would work for me. It's just an annoyance finding it on items now. Like runestaffs, for example.

Leafiara
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:37:37 PM

@flimbo said in Sanctify on armor:

Can Clerics even get cmans that function with sanctified armor?

No, nor with sanctified shields, and it makes me sad. And so does pretty much everything else about sanctification, to be honest--it's a very neglected mechanic.

Sanctified runestaves are a sad joke that we're about to be reminded of as people pick up hundreds of them in the sewers. Sanctified armor is useful for... what, maybe two maneuvers? And I doubt those are even used. Even sanctified weapons aren't all that useful since paladins just make their own at level 25 anyway and war clerics need a serious buff to come even close to warpaths.

Right now I'd say sanctification is more a drawback than a plus in most cases because of what you said about the slot it takes up and making ensorcelling tougher. If they ever make a cleric version of Ensorcell (or a paladin version) then I'd want it to work extra well--or maybe even exclusively--with sanctification.

@ordim said in Sanctify on armor:

Paladins and clerics already have so much defense against sheer fear that it wouldn't do anything.

Ordim
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:40:07 PM

Sanct is it's own "slot" so to speak, so all it does is make things more difficult. But yes, it should be buffed.

Flimbo
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:41:26 PM

Maybe even just call it a day by giving sanctified pieces either a slight DF boost or DF reduction against undead depending on whether it's on a weapon or armor. Anything to make it more than useless.