Serif? SERIF?!

Flimbo
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:15:45 PM

Whomsoever chose to change half the fonts to serif and the other to pseudo-serif, SHAME ON YOU. This is AMERICA, sir, and we have been trending Sans for almost 20 years except in very specific circumstances. Serif is generally reserved for marketing to primarily Asian communities for obvious reasons.

It looks wrong and it hurts my brain.

Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:41:07 PM

@flimbo I changed it to Fixedsys. You're welcome.

Note: I didn't.

Flimbo
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:42:21 PM

@whirlin said in Serif? SERIF?!:

@flimbo I changed it to Fixedsys. You're welcome.

Note: I didn't.

Haha, oh I know you didn't. It's Georgia. GEORGIA! What is this, the middle ages?! I'd prefer fixedsys! That's Sans!

GSPlayer
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:43:51 PM

@flimbo Actually serif is easier for the human eye to read. That's why most newspapers have used it for decades. Only very recently in the computer age has sans become more in use because it's better on monitors. The fine detail of the serif can get lost at small size or low resolution.

Sacru
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:50:16 PM

Just lol'd myself right out of my chair.

Sacru
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:54:09 PM

@gsplayer said in Serif? SERIF?!:

@flimbo Actually serif is easier for the human eye to read. That's why most newspapers have used it for decades. Only very recently in the computer age has sans become more in use because it's better on monitors. The fine detail of the serif can get lost at small size or low resolution.

I refuse to accept a serif font, unless in physically printed form. Refuse/Resist!!

@Whirlin why don't you just do what everyone is thinking... Courier New, baby...

GSPlayer
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:54:55 PM

@sacru If he is truly evil he will change it to Comic Sans.

Sacru
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:56:41 PM

@gsplayer Nah, if he's TRULY evil, he'll find a way to turn everything into Edwardian Script, then force all font sizes to 11px with a global CSS reset/override.

GSPlayer
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 5:05:45 PM

@sacru or change the language to Korean...

Sacru
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 5:12:28 PM

There would still be a few of us who could read that... Wingdings!!

GSPlayer
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 5:14:40 PM

@sacru said in Serif? SERIF?!:

There would still be a few of us who could read that... Wingdings!!

You win. Imagining these boards populated with Wingdings hurts my head.

Flimbo
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 5:45:52 PM

Yeah, I know. I do web design and specialize in marketing/advertising because that's the only job you can get outside of teaching with a degree in Sociocultural and Linguistic Anthropology. That's why I said "For the last 20 years" in my original post. :P The only websites that still use serif fonts (with notable specific exception circumstances) are English language Asian sites because they evoke a typesetting that's closer to most Asian written languages. Even traditionally serif "professional" settings, like banks, have all switched to sans in US based websites at this point.

https://www.chase.com/

https://www.bankofamerica.com/

Hence, serif looks wrong and hurts my brain.