Topic tags in darker themes

Erek
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 8:08:45 AM

When using a darker theme, such as Slate or Darkly or similar, topic tags look like they need fixing, i.e. they look made for lighter themes only.

0<em>1502539647647</em>Tags.PNG

GSPlayer
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 8:21:29 AM

Cyborg is my pick for the best dark theme on the list. It solves the problem you mention.

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 9:10:27 AM

0<em>1502543360444</em>01cccc01-5b81-4a8b-8c0f-eaf40476a64e-image.png

This is the person tagging in Superhero, but otherwise I like that setup and it isn't too dark

Sabotage
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 9:37:20 AM

Did anyone else lose the search function?

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 9:41:33 AM

@sabotage said in Topic tags in darker themes:

Did anyone else lose the search function?

I was chatting with @Ondreian about the loss of another feature and when he looked into it he said some other things had poofed, but he had to go out. But yeah, that's gone, too. So is the quick reply, but I didn't like that anyway as none of the formatting help appeared in it.

Sacru
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:02:18 AM

What happened to the site between yesterday and today? Everything is different. Styles are gone. Placement of elements also changed. Is it just me, or are others experiencing this as well?

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:03:53 AM

@sacru said in Topic tags in darker themes:

What happened to the site between yesterday and today? Everything is different. Styles are gone. Placement of elements also changed. Is it just me, or are others experiencing this as well?

there was an announced upgrade

https://forums.elanthia.online/topic/121/scheduled-upgrade-8-12-2017

Sacru
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:11:48 AM

@allereli I read the announcement, but what I'm saying is I think something went wrong. Unless there's a resource not loading on my end due to a false positive firewall rule or something. Seems jumbled, totally unstyled.

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:12:41 AM

@allereli I read the announcement, but what I'm saying is I think something went wrong. Unless there's a resource not loading on my end due to a false positive firewall rule or something. Seems jumbled, totally unstyled.

besides a few missing features it looks much better to me

Sacru
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:22:09 AM

@allereli Can you post a screenshot? On my view, the logo isn't symmetrical and the menu div is spilling below it. All fonts are Times New Roman.

It would sometimes load like this for me before, but was fixed with a quick refresh. Like a CSS file not loading or something?

I'm honestly not harping on anyone's CSS design skills. I think it's a JS bug but not at my workstation so not able to look at the console.

Search feature is gone, too. Not that I used it much.

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:24:23 AM

@Sacru

here is the recent page with superhero theme

0<em>1502551447317</em>62fcdb50-9b3a-4017-b427-94ccc9afaba2-image.png

Sacru
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:29:35 AM

@allereli Appreciated. I'll poke around a bit later on. I was using the default theme previously. So clean. As a fan of minimalism in general, was a super big fan of the original design. Reading through comments though, seems perhaps I was the only one?

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:31:36 AM

@allereli Appreciated. I'll poke around a bit later on. I was using the default theme previously. So clean. As a fan of minimalism in general, was a super big fan of the original design. Reading through comments though, seems perhaps I was the only one?

I found the fonts to be too big, too much whitespace since I typically view on a desktop, and the new posts didn't show where the thread was located, so I think this is a big improvement and a step in the right direction

Sacru
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:38:15 AM

@allereli With so many themes being offered, is the original theme one of them?

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 11:39:54 AM

@sacru I think that has been altered because of the upgrade. more of a Q for the admins

idlewanderlust
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 2:53:00 PM

Also lost boxes next to topics on the unread page I could use to select to do things like "mark as read."

idlewanderlust
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 2:55:01 PM

Also topics don't jump down to the oldest unread post.

Tei
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 6:18:31 PM

cover and profile photos aren't saving.

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 10:09:29 PM

@idlewanderlust said in Topic tags in darker themes:

Also lost boxes next to topics on the unread page I could use to select to do things like "mark as read."

@ondreian

I found the check boxes. hover over the icon and it turns into a check mark

ondreian
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 7:31:20 AM

@tei I cannot recreate this, are you sure it just isn't being cached?

Naamit
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 11:03:08 AM

@ondreian @Tei I am having the same issue - cover and profile icon are not saving consistently. Here's a screenshot showing two diff profile icons.

0<em>1502636576097</em>f2e2fe40-6f79-454c-b1d3-510247c3c665-image.png

GSPlayer
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 11:48:35 AM

I also had this issue when the boards first opened up. One part of the issue, I believe, was not having completed the registration process by clicking the link in the email that was sent to the address I used to register.

It resolved when I completed the registration and did a full refresh on the browser. Hope that helps.

Naamit
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 12:05:48 PM

In retrospect, this may be a caching issue- I had logged out of the forums and logged back in and the issue persisted. However when I cleared cache/cookies and opened a new session, the proper content appeared.

Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 2:26:39 PM

So... Skins are attributes of Themes. Themes interpret the backend BBS to determine how to display the information. Skins are then applied as coloring schemas to the themes's formatting.

This theme is more in line with the instant and intense QQing. Most of the admins actually agreed with @Sacru and liked the original minimalist stuffs, but of course, gotta go where the majority want us to go. But since we changed the themes, it swaps all the skins as well. I think... probably.

I'm surprised a bit at the tags feature. I guess that's governed by the theme and not the skin? I'm not nearly as technical as the other admins, I just know how to navigate admin consoles and stuff, not mess with the html coding of blahblahblahs. The intent for this latest reboot was to change the theme so that way we have a closer basis for when we fork and start customizing our themes based on readily available themes from teh internets.

But yes... we're working on it. It'll probably be a little while before we get it perfecter. But honestly, continuing to post like this with feedback is more helpful than harmful, as it can ensure that while people are under the hood messing with the everything, that it's at the front of the mind.

Or I could pretend that we're like other forums and either not reply or say RSN if you'd prefer.

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 2:43:39 PM

I only understood half of that, but I appreciate the communication.

Sacru
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:35:36 PM

@whirlin Appreciate the public update on this. More detail than I expected, and glad this hasn't gone to the ether.

What I like about the approach being taken here, and what I missed initially, is what you've essentially done is stripped it down to the barebones. With what I can only assume is with the intent to build organically from here based on user feedback.

I've been designing and developing websites & web applications for about 15 years professionally, but never really ventured outside of php/css/html... little Ruby, Python... not a lot else. My skills couldn't touch those of an @ondreian or @Estild, for example. These guys are in a different stratosphere from a quack such as myself, which I can also appreciate.

What I'm not completely understanding is the themes/skins issue. I get the separation between the two, but based on your response I'm wondering, *is it possible for us to have fewer themes -- easier for the admins to maintain -- and more skins?*

If suggestions are being considered as far as the forward movement / branching of the UI/UX options available to us, (and I will say that I was madly in love with the original theme/skin as well, not that it's any secret at this point):

• Placement of the upvote caret. Seemed more logical in the top-right area. Stack places it in the top-left / most prominent. Something to that, I think. Also -- when on mobile, it's a lot more difficult to hit the caret now that it's squished between the reply/quote and the sideways hamburger button.
  • Font. I'm fine with a serif font. I guess. Would be nice if we would have serif/sans-serif skin options, but beggars can't be choosers. If we're going with one or the other, though, I'd suggest that we apply those font families consistently across headings / body / subscript. If not the same family, at least something more visually similar?
  • Quick-reply was nice. So was search. Neither are totally necessary, but if the real intent was to free up some real estate in the header, why not just get rid of the giant pagination/up/down nav block that's currently taking up about 33% of the total horizontal space?
  • Symmetry/alignment. Now this IS a ridiculous request. But, the logo in the header is top-aligned.
  • Rainbow-colored icon backgrounds on the home screen. Why? Does each color signify something specific? Many people said the previous color scheme was "boring", but I say... is there any specific reason to throw so many random colors out there? The rainbow colors are making my eyes bleed (half kidding). From a functional perspective, perhaps a different color for each grouping, matching that of the heading bubble? I'm super OCD, so color schemas and right perfectly symmetrical right-angles are pretty important to me.
  • Color scheme in general. I would request fewer colors. Two, maybe three... max. Far as schemes go, why not Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Midnight? Pick a couple colors to start with and let http://paletton.com run the numbers on bi or tri-chromatic color considerations?
  • Giant header pagination module. Forces the primary menu items onto their own line. Takes up a LOT of real estate. Also, is anyone actually using this? Mouse wheel does the job for me. Personal preference...?

.categories>li .content h2, .category>ul>li .content h2 { margin-top: 14px; } .content h2.title span.category-children a { padding: 6px 0; margin-top: 3px; } .content h2.title span.category-children a:last-child { margin-bottom: 9px; } inspector-stylesheet:16 .content h2.title span.category-children a:first-child { margin-top: 16px; } .header img.forum-logo { margin: 23px 0; } h1.navbar-brand.forum-title { line-height: 32px; height: 32px; padding: 0; margin: 23px 23px 23px 12px!important; color: #666; } ul#main-nav { margin: 7px 0; } @media (max-width: 767px) { .header .forum-logo { margin-left: 15px!important; } }

The above CSS block would fix a lot of visual/alignment issues that I personally have with the new layout -- those in the header and on the homepage at least, and only tested on the default theme. Semi-tested on mobile and clearly (!importantly) a bit hacked.

issue #desktop #mobile #suggestion

Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:40:35 PM

@sacru

Themes are 1 per site, can't swap it without a reboot. Most adjustments we're making are at the theme level, the coloring schemas are on the skins. Focusing on the template first, then the skins later down the road. All skins are pre-consolidated and delivered as part of the templates we activate.

It's a matter of rather having a recent posts view, than worry about the color of blue on a the dabudedabeda skin for a particular button.

Sacru
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:44:52 PM

@whirlin Sounds like a plan. Function first. Worry about the rest later. Appreciate the hours you all are putting into this.

ondreian
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 4:51:24 PM

I'm working on committing all of my server scripts, Dockerfiles, and theme stuff to a single github repo that anyone can contribute to and/or audit because we take security, OSS, and community stakeholdership seriously.

Eventually the plan is to fork the current theme, and customize it better for the community (as well as insulate ourselves from nonsensical upstream changes).

I'd love for some easy QOL things to eventually get on the radar, it would be trivial for instance to write a Lich script that crawls your playershop and spits out the markdown for you to update your shop post with. It would be considerably better however, to use the NodeBB api to do it, so it's all automated for you.

This is of course very low down on the list priority wise, because of ps.lichproject.org, but these are things we are bantering about.

Tei
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 3:14:11 AM

@naamit said in Topic tags in darker themes:

In retrospect, this may be a caching issue- I had logged out of the forums and logged back in and the issue persisted. However when I cleared cache/cookies and opened a new session, the proper content appeared.

This worked. Thanks :)