Ensorcell and Weighting/Padding changes

Maetriks
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 5:40:06 PM

@Estild @Wyrom So, I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere and if it has, I really don't feel like navigating the officials to find it. With the reported updates to weighting/padding, I was curious if there will be an update to 735 working better on these items, specifically those super duty items like claidhmores or other items that require ridiculous amounts of training in 700 spell circle. Currently, it can be damn near impossible to do these items, and with it being announced that no merchants offering ensorcell work ever again, it is a rather important question to ask.

Edited: because I'm still getting used to tags.

Doug
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 7:06:49 PM

I haven't seen anything on Ensorcell (735) yet. I asked about Enchant (925), but didn't think to cover this. Good question!
Cross-posted: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Sorcerers/Developer's%20Corner%20-%20Sorcerers/view/2458

Doug
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 12:37:55 PM

Response x-post from: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Sorcerers/Developer's%20Corner%20-%20Sorcerers/view/2461

Re: Ensorcell and Weighting / Padding Changes
on 08/13/2017 09:26 AM PDT

No, there will not be any changes to ensorcelling weighted/padded items. The items that are difficult/impossible are by design.

GameMaster Estild

Doug
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 2:26:49 PM

And rounding out, when asked if merchant ensorcell could be done for super hard items - xpost from: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Sorcerers/Developer's%20Corner%20-%20Sorcerers/view/2463

Re: Ensorcell and Weighting / Padding Changes on
08/13/2017 10:54 AM PDT #2463

No, as already stated. That will never be offered as a future merchant service. Not all items are intended to be ensorcelled, especially if they already have a number of high end properties.

GameMaster Estild

Evarin
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 3:04:22 PM

What a weird stance to take. You can have all these other things added on to your high end gear, but never, ever, in the history of all time will we offer Ensorcelling beyond what a player can do.

Ok.

Sabotage
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 3:08:36 PM

@evarin forging?

Ordim
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 3:11:08 PM

@evarin Not to agree with it, but they've cited how they wanted to "keep the lid" on ensorceling a bit better than they did on enchanting. It's a situation of learning from your sins over 20+ years and of course everyone else saying "but you have 20 years of precedence AGAINST doing it that way"

Evarin
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 3:42:57 PM

@ordim That argument doesn't work when you can simply get the T5 on gear before they enter the "no-no" zone, then simply pile on the services that aren't locked in said zone for an exorbitant amount of silver.

Sabotage
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 3:46:10 PM

@evarin At one point I think they were going to use a gear score of some sort, but that seems to have not lasted long.

Not sure if it still does but voln armor analyze talked about added X points to your armor's gear score.

Ordim
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 3:49:01 PM

@evarin So another thing we got a peek of behind the curtain is that items apparently have what I'm going to call "power scores" and not even Duskruin Certs can get beyond the "power score" limits that dev/whoever has set. Incredibly powerful weapons/armors were turned down from some otherwise simple services because it exceeded that "power score" limit. That might be one part of it.

There are many instances where a player can do something to a weapon easily that makes it no longer enchantable. There are many services that then allow a merchant or service to further enchant it. There are very few things a player can do to make an item no longer ensorcable until you are talking about the top end of items. I think you are exactly proving my point, everyone outside of the GMs/Devs are saying "but you can just do this, so why not just do it for us and save us the jumping through hoops?".

I'd rather see players be able to enchant anything that PPs and merchants can and give sorc's whatever buff is needed to at least let the best of the best on the best roll ensorcell the best items.

Evarin
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 5:48:54 PM

If they're using some some of power score on gear they should make that clear to players. As in, show us the numbers you're working with so we can work within that system. Having us guess time and again just wastes everyone's time.

Crime
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 8:19:27 AM

I only know of a few sorcs that truly maintain top end skills to ensorcell, and frankly they do a great job of it. Sorcs that don't maintain the skills have the requirement to fixskill to do top end jobs at the sacrifice of other skills. Which of course they try to pass on the cost to their prey.. I mean customers, or aren't willing to do this. I applaud Estlid's response given the already unbalanced silver flow into the hands of sorcs. You want to get T5 on an MCP+ or MCW+ item, you're going to need the skills. As was pointed out, planning an item from the start will help, I did T5 on a couple of projects first and then enchanted, which either made the enchanting much harder or put that extra sting in Sadie point acquisition cost (a real limiter).

Destrier
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 8:31:37 AM

Might not be an issue for most. But with rangers only being able to single SMC training. Resist Nature. Not all of us have SMC enhancives to get to 136 ranks.

Training in Spiritual Mana Control adds to the duration of the applied resistance. It also allows the spell to be cast on damage or crit padded armor, based on a seed 1 summation of ranks. It is possible to add resistance to "lightly" padded armor beginning at 1 rank, "very heavily" at 91 ranks, and the lowest level of "masterfully" padded armor at 136 enhanced ranks.

Aurach

Crime
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 8:39:57 AM

Oh I must throw this in. People complain about pick pocketing....

How about a game mechanic (ensorcelling) that does:

1. Designed to feed silvers into sorc pockets.
  2. Sorcs aren't going to attempt hard projects without generally passing their energy cost to the customer.
  3. The overall system creates an eternal revenue source for sorcs of millions of silver and a game mechanic which ensures people will pay.
  4. And the best part. Their energy is free just for hunting lmao.

LOL Worse than any rogue has ever done.

Whoever created it must be a sorc with a rogue's heart. :D

Evarin
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 9:13:09 AM

I'd love to be able to non-consensually Ensorcell someone's gear and pass it off as killer RP.

Sacru
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 9:14:24 AM

@crime What we really need... is Enroguening.

Sacru
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 9:18:30 AM

@crime so basically, as opposed to ensorcelling which provides significant mechanical benefits, Enroguening simply makes anything the best in the game, like rogues, best profession in the game. It just makes sense !!!!! T5, baby!

Crime
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 9:21:12 AM

T5 enrogening!

Creating a need perceived as must have is as much a collusion as any crime. I am saying you're going to pay, and pay well!

It's the greatest silver maker ever! Shake down your sorc they're dripping silver!

T5 enrogening, would could make items pick pocket proof lol.

For the record I love my ensorcells and every silver spent :)