Official: "A Letter Regarding Thanks and the Current Feastday in the Evening" (IC Letter Regarding Lich's Landing)

Evarin
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 7:19:46 AM

Messy handwriting sprawls across a sheet of vellum posted on the entrance to The Pie Shop, the words written in Common:

"To Lich's Landing Tourists and Wehnimer's Landing Residents:

I am thankful to you for the help with collecting the shards of obsidian and white gem shards carried by some of the residents of Lich's Landing. More than enough have been collected for the method of repair that I have in mind! To those who helped collect: thank you; you will be remembered, not only for the spirit of contribution but also for the amount of it. For those of you who chose to horde instead: selfishness never ends well. This is not a threat; it is solely an observation.

I will request that slaying of the residents of Lich's Landing comes to a close. They have done nothing to harm you; perhaps you will extend that same courtesy to them. They can be, if you take the time to know them, wonderful friends. If they attack you first, though, I will not blame you as heavily; sometimes the residents are confused about who is a friend and who is a foe (especially after this period of slaying them in order to loot the shards), and defending yourself is important in those particular situations.

I did say I would allow guests during the repair attempt. This first attempt will take place this evening (Day of the Huntress). You may need to get your hands dirty. Also, I will not guarantee anyone's safety; if you attend, it is at your own risk, and injury, even death, is always a possibility when it comes to magic that can be temperamental. For those who volunteered to assist in any way, your help is still required. I will also say to those who will criticize any attempts to fix what is broken in Lich's Landing that it is better to fix something than to leave it broken but with all of the pieces easily obtained for anyone to do with them as they wish. Now, regardless of the outcome, you will at least know who is working with these tools, even if you do not understand why this repair carries importance.

In the event that there are unexpected consequences, I take full responsibility. If it effects the town of Wehnimer's Landing in a tangible fashion, even though Lich's Landing is outside of its jurisdiction, I will allow the above-ground legal system to do what it must in order to fairly mete out justice.

I thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

~G.G.K. "Goblyn"

Evarin
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 7:20:26 AM

One important bit out of all of that is that an event will be taking place Friday night RE: this storyline.

peam
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 7:32:36 AM

@evarin said in Official: "A Letter Regarding Thanks and the Current Feastday in the Evening" (IC Letter Regarding Lich's Landing):

One important bit out of all of that is that an event will be taking place Friday night RE: this storyline.

Thanks. I wish they'd throw the normal day/month/whatever in parenthesis on stuff like this. I've been playing for a million years and have no idea what Day of the Huntress is.

Evarin
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 7:34:29 AM

The CALENDAR verb is useful for that purpose. I agree it can be a pain if you're not in-game and are attempting to remember.

Maylan
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 10:18:47 AM

alt text

Oh man, I'm looking forward to this!

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 10:30:50 AM

@evarin said in Official: "A Letter Regarding Thanks and the Current Feastday in the Evening" (IC Letter Regarding Lich's Landing):

I agree it can be a pain if you're not in-game and are attempting to remember.

you can search for any day of the week or any month on the wiki and it will redirect to the correct page. some holidays as well if there's a GS equivalent.

Ordim
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 11:01:33 AM

Part of me wonders if there wasn't something more, mechanically, behind the shards. If data was tracked on the number dropped vs donated, player stats on who donated how many etc. Or maybe I am just reading too much into it. I don't see anything nefarious behind it, just more data gathering for something else down the line. Don't forget we were promised all kinds of player specific stats and benefits in duskruin based on data gathered, so it's not impossible.

Maylan
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 11:54:25 AM

I remember the shards were part of the original storyline event what - 2013ish? I don't recall exactly where they came from, but I still have one of the originals tucked away in my locker. I think at that time they were meant to be a sort of event souvenir. Perhaps someone can fill in my memory gaps.

Ordim
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:18:11 PM

That would make more sense. I wasn't around back then so I thought the shards were something new.

Roblar
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:21:02 PM

@ordim said in Official: "A Letter Regarding Thanks and the Current Feastday in the Evening" (IC Letter Regarding Lich's Landing):

Part of me wonders if there wasn't something more, mechanically, behind the shards. If data was tracked on the number dropped vs donated, player stats on who donated how many etc. Or maybe I am just reading too much into it. I don't see anything nefarious behind it, just more data gathering for something else down the line. Don't forget we were promised all kinds of player specific stats and benefits in duskruin based on data gathered, so it's not impossible.

Data was tracked somewhat. Kaikala posted that she gets an email every time a shard was put in a box. I'd assume it would at least track who put the shard in.

Alenix
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:23:18 PM

If that's the case then I'm willing to bet she doesn't like me. I was hunting there like mad, and dropping 10-20 in the box every hour or so...