A better interface for posting would be nice

Durakar
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:16:15 PM

This one is horribly annoying. I can't use quick keys to bold or italicize. There's no use of color that is readily identifiable.

• While I like the easier to use bullet point method, placing the next line after a single carriage return just puts it inline with the same bullet point. Like this sentence here.

It takes 2 carriage returns to escape from it instead of just starting the next sentence one line lower down like it logically should with a single carriage return.

[table]thing one | Thing 2 3 | 4[/table]

So... how exactly would one go about making tables using this interface? Nothing showing or stating how that would be done either. (Also again with the single carriage return not generating a new line when I placed it following the '2' in that table attempt...)

Kalros
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:22:43 PM

@durakar

Super easy. This took me 5 seconds.

| | | | | | |---|---|---|---|---| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Durakar
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:25:01 PM

@kalros said in A better interface for posting would be nice:

@durakar

Super easy. This took me 5 seconds.

| | | | | | |---|---|---|---|---| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Ok, so this is a completely tagless system... super confusing without a guide of some kind to someone not familiar with using , , *?, ^%#^(% or whatever other oddball things to get the various results I want.

Why the move away from functional, understandable, and intuitive html tags?

Doug
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:25:13 PM

@durakar Markdown is such a . . . pleasure . . . to learn.

You don't really need two carriage returns.
A new line can be forced by two periods after then period.
Then you can get a series of single liners together like this.

Tables are fun! At least, I think that's the word. Here's a template from https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet.

```Colons can be used to align columns.

| Tables | Are | Cool | | ------------- |:-------------:| -----:| | col 3 is | right-aligned | $1600 | | col 2 is | centered | $12 | | zebra stripes | are neat | $1 |

Kalros
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:25:44 PM

@durakar

Okay to elaborate a bit... I've spent a few hours poking around trying to figure out just what "this" is.

The forums is nodeBB. The language is "markdown." Markdown language enables easy communication across all the platforms (because they use different carriage returns etc etc.) It's actually VERY popular so there is ton's of things to google. For example, when i saw your question i googled "markdown language tables" and found this table generator tool located here.

http://www.tablesgenerator.com/markdown_tables

Basically tons and tons of stuff to google and get familiar with.

Durakar
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:26:22 PM

@kalros said in A better interface for posting would be nice:

Basically tons and tons of stuff to google and get familiar with.

Joy... /runs back to PC

Durakar
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:38:12 PM

Alright, looking further into this Markdown thing I see better why I dislike it. It just deals with the essentials and doesn't allow anything "fancy".

Any chance we could see a plug-in get added to give us color options? Such as mega-colors or rainbows?

Looks like font size is outside the realm of possibility and I'll have to learn how to post like I like again.

Anyone know a good way to convert posts from PC to Markdown, stripping any color and size changes out preferably.

Kalros
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:45:48 PM

@durakar said in A better interface for posting would be nice:

Alright, looking further into this Markdown thing I see better why I dislike it. It just deals with the essentials and doesn't allow anything "fancy".

Any chance we could see a plug-in get added to give us color options? Such as mega-colors or rainbows?

Looks like font size is outside the realm of possibility and I'll have to learn how to post like I like again.

Anyone know a good way to convert posts from PC to Markdown, stripping any color and size changes out preferably.

I think its possible to integrate HTML.

allereli
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 9:18:18 PM

I've used this table converter in the past for the wiki (it's the 2nd table convert link on my user page) and markdown is one of the options.

https://thdoan.github.io/mr-data-converter/

| Spiritual Lore Summoning ranks | 20 | 40 | 60 | 80 | 100 | 120 | 140 | |--------------------------------|-------|-------|-------|-------|--------|--------|--------| | % chance for like-level target to be webbed | 40% | 50% | 60% | 70% | 80% | 90% | 100% |

I had to delete some added characters, but it came out okay

Alastir
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 9:48:38 PM

@durakar said in A better interface for posting would be nice:

I think mega-colors and rainbows are out of date an non-functional.

I believe they are working on colors though.

@Kalros said in [A better interface for posting would be nice]:

I think its possible to integrate HTML.

HTML is also a security risk which is why it's disabled.

allereli
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

this might be interesting and useful. I haven't tried it yet

https://pandoc.org/