Shawty, what you sippin'?

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:38:52 PM

Alcohol recommendations/reviews go here.

We're getting breweries from Deschutes and Ballast Point in the next few years so I'm trying to be local to the home team.

I've been partial to Ballast Point's Manta Ray Double IPA because it's delicious (and rhymes)

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:41:43 PM

This is one of my favorites.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:42:53 PM

@mogonis DB is local too. Have you been to their place?

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:45:44 PM

Yep. Great place. Also been to Blue Mountain and Wild Wolf. Have you been to Stone in Richmond yet? Nice location and you can bring your dog.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:47:40 PM

Well, I haven't been back to DB since they sold to Anheuser-Busch, but I don't think their beer has changed.

Taernath
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:49:39 PM

Someone recommend a bourbon to me, I'm in an experimentation phase and about to finish off the handle I have.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:50:43 PM

Yeah, we went to Stone a few months after they opened. It's a super nice facility. It was awesome the way they floated the tanks up the James.

I haven't been since the sale either but I haven't noticed a difference in the bottled product.

Roanoke is having Microfestivus (https://microfestivus.squaresociety.org/) next weekend, which pulls in like 75-80 breweries. I volunteered to set up tents for 2 hours so I get a free ticket that's unlimited tastings. It's gonna be raw.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:50:49 PM

I can only recommend bourbon ales and stouts.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:53:28 PM

@mogonis said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

I can only recommend bourbon ales and stouts.

Hah, I really dig stouts but I'm not a huge fan of bourbon ales.

My favorites are hefeweizens, belgians, pale ales, IPAs, and pilsners not necessarily in that order.

That said, I'll drink basically whatever and be happy to have it. The only style I really can't get into are amber/red ales.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:54:36 PM

Well, I meant bourbon stouts as well, like Hardywood's Bourbon Barrel Stout. That shit is delicious. I'm mostly into darker beers, but during the summer I'll go for lighter stuff that's refreshing when it's hot.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:07:49 PM

I am REALLY loving a local brewery right now: Cigar City Brewing. It's a relatively new micro-brewery in Tampa, but they have won so many awards for their great beers.

LOVE their Florida Cracker, Puppy's Breath, Jai Alai, Maduro, etc... they make excellent dark beers imo.

https://cigarcitybrewing.com/

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:10:39 PM

I've heard that name or saw it somewhere. Do they distribute in North Carolina? I feel like I saw a Cigar City tap at a Hilton in Durham, NC.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:12:36 PM

I've heard that name or saw it somewhere. Do they distribute in North Carolina? I feel like I saw a Cigar City tap at a Hilton in Durham, NC.

Yea, some very select beers are "nationwide". They consistently rate very high in most beer polls.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:12:37 PM

I've heard of them too. They're supposed to be excellent. They have a seasonal pumpkin ale that's supposed to be insanely good.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:14:01 PM

@peam said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

I've heard of them too. They're supposed to be excellent. They have a seasonal pumpkin ale that's supposed to be insanely good.

Good Gourd Pumpkin Imperial. One of the best pumpkin beers out there... and it's like 8% so it'll knock you on your butt.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:16:29 PM

@peam, next time you're in Richmond, check out The Answer Pub (if you haven't already). They have lots of guest taps, but they also brew their own base beers and add flavors.

http://theanswerbrewpub.com/

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:18:12 PM

@peam, next time you're in Richmond, check out The Answer Pub (if you haven't already). They have lots of guest taps, but they also brew their own base beers and add flavors.

http://theanswerbrewpub.com/

Man, I went back when I visited Stone. One of my good friends still lives in RVA and is waaaaay into beer. That place was incredible. I don't think they were brewing their own at the time tho.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:19:54 PM

I know. I can't not order the bun chicken noodle bowl. It's ridiculous.

Doug
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 6:57:46 PM

Partial to Iron Horse (particularly Irish Death) when I'm in a non-scotch mood. But yeah - not man enough for the bitter IPA stuff.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 7:03:27 PM

@doug said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

Partial to Iron Horse (particularly Irish Death) when I'm in a non-scotch mood. But yeah - not man enough for the bitter IPA stuff.

You gotta do Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA at least once.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 7:12:51 PM

@peam said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

@doug said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

You gotta do Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA at least once.

Agreed. I generally don't like IPAs, but Dog Fish Head seems to have more carbonation in their IPAs, and they taste good to me.

0zymandius
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 8:12:21 PM

I'll be honest. Today was a fuck of a rough day, so tonight I'm sippin shots of tequila. And it's goooood.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 8:20:24 PM

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 8:26:51 PM

Friend of mine owns Sound Brewery in Seattle, so I highly recommend his product. Also it's good product. Also also I've been drinking this Gosling's Black Rum lately because my local Rite Aid has it deeply discounted. For the price of the bottle ($14.99 on sale from 19.99 here), it's damn good tasting and pretty high quality comparatively.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 9:34:02 PM

Aw yus alt text

Taernath
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 9:35:34 PM

@flimbo said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

Friend of mine owns Sound Brewery in Seattle, so I highly recommend his product. Also it's good product. Also also I've been drinking this Gosling's Black Rum lately because my local Rite Aid has it deeply discounted. For the price of the bottle ($14.99 on sale from 19.99 here), it's damn good tasting and pretty high quality comparatively.

Dark and Stormys are pretty good.

eric
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:35:49 PM

@taernath said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

Someone recommend a bourbon to me, I'm in an experimentation phase and about to finish off the handle I have.

Jim Beam Apple. I had a couple in Seattle and they were very good.

Taernath
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:38:25 PM

@eric said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

That's a liqueur!

eric
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:40:20 PM

For many years I have had a drink of choice constructed from:

• 1 measure Wolfschmidt or equivalent Vodka (plastic bottle A MUST)
  • 3 measures Sobe 0 Calorie Life Water (preferably Fuji Apple Pear)
  • between one third and one half of one pinch of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning (Mild)

The Tacotini!

Recently I developed an alternative. Substitute this beer for the Sobe:

And substitute McCormick "Perfect Pinch" Cajun Seasoning.

In this variant, the seasoning stays at the top instead of sinking to the bottom, which helps distribute it more evenly through the period of drinking.

peam
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:43:06 PM

I'm a fan of Woodford Reserve, Four Roses single barrel, and Knob Creek single barrel. Knob Creek's regular bourbon is good too.

If you're feeling like a baller, pick up a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel.

eric
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:45:01 PM

That's a liqueur!

70 proof though

Taernath
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 4:01:52 PM

70 proof though

That's 35% ABV. Bourbons need to be 40%.

@peam Thanks for those recommendations, I've done both Knob Creeks but I'll try the others.

Vishra
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 4:06:24 PM

pear vodka and soda with a splash of sours. Most refreshing summer drink ever.

0zymandius
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 6:09:10 PM

Tonight (viva la weekend) I'm doing Jim Beam Apple shots, jaeger with white chocolate liqueur (delicious), and the wife is making up some Irish Car Bombs for later.

Vishra
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 6:25:04 PM

Something called a "boatslip punch" in P-Town. Not sure what's in it, but it turns out they pour a shot of 151 down the straw after the drink is finished.

I had two. Weeeee.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 6:44:33 PM

Pendleton Whiskey. For when you want that good ole western feel in a Canadian whiskey for twice the price.

peam
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 8:39:25 PM

You inspired me.

alt text

Naamit
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 10:25:00 PM

Zubrowka + San Pellegriono orange + Lacroix Lime over ice.

Vishra
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 9:55:26 AM

update. Had three. V hungover. Stupid past me

Maetriks
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 8:26:55 AM

• between one third and one half of one pinch of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning (Mild)

The Tacotini!

In this variant, the seasoning stays at the top instead of sinking to the bottom, which helps distribute it more evenly through the period of drinking.

This sounds disgusting.

peam
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 9:38:56 AM

@maetriks said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

The Tacotini!

This sounds disgusting.

I concur.

Also, this weekend was a mistake.

eric
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:01:27 PM

@maetriks try it and see :D

Maetriks
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:02:21 PM

@maetriks try it and see :D

Pass.

Parkbandit
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:22:49 PM

I have been a life long lover of all things beer, but I have to say I am really enjoying a nice thick Cabernet lately.

viekn
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:36:22 PM

@parkbandit said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

I have been a life long lover of all things beer, but I have to say I am really enjoying a nice thick Cabernet lately.

I just cannot get myself to like wine. Doesn't mean I won't drink it if that's all I've got on hand, but I won't like it. Won't stop me from killing the bottle though. :(

archigeek
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:39:34 PM

A nice summer drink I invented last week: make yourself a gin and tonic, except use lemon instead of lime, add a few muddled leaves of mint and a mint sprig. Presto.

For those of us who live where rhubarb grows: pickle some, this stuff is gold. Make whatever drink you want, add rhubarb, pickled or unpickled. Muddle it if you don't pickle it especially, and maybe add some simple syrup to moderate the tartness.

archigeek
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:40:40 PM

Also, I was at the Surly brewery last night. Amazes me how many people they can pack into that place on a Monday night. They are printing money there, and the beer is still great. Were probably 700 people there.

Flimbo
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:40:54 PM

I just learned about 20 minutes ago through trial and error that root beer and rum is better than rum and coke.

eric
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 10:02:36 PM

i've never had root beer or coke

Parkbandit
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 10:43:26 PM

I just learned about 20 minutes ago through trial and error that root beer and rum is better than rum and coke.

Why not just try hard Root Beer?

viekn
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 10:49:38 PM

I'd imagine it's like a pre-made margarita mix. It's just not the same unless you mix it yourself.

Obsalyn
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 10:50:46 PM

I'm doing Absolut Wild Tea flavored with coke right now, cranberry juice is better but it's still pretty good

Taernath
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 12:13:20 AM

@archigeek said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

For those of us who live where rhubarb grows: pickle some, this stuff is gold. Make whatever drink you want, add rhubarb, pickled or unpickled. Muddle it if you don't pickle it especially, and maybe add some simple syrup to moderate the tartness.

I saw some rhubarb stuff in the craft beer section of my local liquor store. Not sure if it was an IPA or whatever, but it struck me as odd.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 9:17:25 AM

@viekn said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

I'd imagine it's like a pre-made margarita mix. It's just not the same unless you mix it yourself.

It's just different. It's not a rum and root beer product, it's a craft beer that uses very little taste in the beer process (mostly malted barley) and then instead of hops and other typical craft beer additives, they add the vanilla and sarsaparilla for the root beer flavor.

Most have the same type of alcohol content that craft beer has.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 9:19:03 AM

@archigeek said in Shawty, what you sippin'?:

I saw some rhubarb stuff in the craft beer section of my local liquor store. Not sure if it was an IPA or whatever, but it struck me as odd.

I had a rhubarb wheat ale that was pretty tasty. More like a sour than a typical ale though.

Naamit
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 11:17:52 AM

@archigeek Let me know if you ever want to hit up Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub.

archigeek
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:35:19 PM

@naamit The food is pretty decent there and t he beverages aren't bad. Maybe the next gather should be there.

Naamit
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:41:10 PM

@archigeek Good call. It shall be done! :>

eric
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 7:23:47 PM

Seagram's Apple

I had some Crown Apple when I was out of town because I wanted Jim Beam Apple and they were out and it was very nice, and Seagram's is way cheaper so I went with that for a bottle.

It's apple! It's whiskey(?)! It's good!

eric
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 10:15:28 PM

alt text

and i made nachos!